C++ am i going the right way?

Started by
16 comments, last by QuintKillsSharks 19 years, 1 month ago
Let me suggest something. If you will work with Windows as your platform, spend a little and buy MS Visual C++ .Net. You can get a license for about $90 so it wont break your economy. VC++ its a standar for professional programmers. Many tools are developed for it and its really comfortable to use.

Luck!
Guimo

Advertisement
Thanx guys

Well there for ill buy that book and get a General C++ book too.And D/L that one too.

Any good simple General C++ book for programming?

Guimo ill probably buy that after i learn the language,thanx!

Guimo your name is kinda strange(spanish),were are you from?

Thanx all!
Intellisense and an interactive debugger and in the case of Visual Studio .NET, edit and continue (make changes to your program by pausing it and rewriting a bit of code).

Those features really do save time. Learn to use a debugger, which in visual studio is a breeze, and you will know what productive really means :)

As far as books go: have you tried your local library? Here in the UK, all local libraries are part of a national group, so if you want a book they don't have, they can request it to be delivered from a library that does have it. I don't know if anything similar exists in the US.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Microsoft is developing a new "Express" versions of their Visual Studio 2005 products. These are basically cheaper versions of the regular applications meant more for enthusiests. They actually have the betas of the Express versions available for download at http://msdn.microsoft.com.

Also, the Microsoft C++ and C# command-line compilers are available for free.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

You don't need a commercial IDE to get started. The free ones are excellent, and you will probably be able to start without ever needing one. Dev-C++ is my favorite for Windows, and works perfectly except for a few small quirks. Also, learning from source code can be a great way to learn new things and to develop a coding style. Find some basic source code and look over it, compile it, modify it, try to understand it, etc. It's probably one of the best ways to learn.

Also, make sure you write code and don't just read the tutorials or books. Type in the examples, and do any exercises that are given. Writing code is the ultimate way to learn. After you have gone through a book, you can start working on some small text-based projects. You can probably start on some basic things like tic-tac-toe before you complete a book.

Also, make sure you ask any questions you have. IM or e-mail me if you need any help.
Scott SimontisMy political blog
Quote:Original post by Max_Payne
You can learn C++ without books just fine. I did. The language is not that complex.

Yes it is. Tremendously, mindbogglingly complex.
Quote:Original post by Ilankt
I would suggest the Thinking in C++ vol 1.
it's a really good book, and it's FREE!
just google for it, it's probably the best C++ book out there.

here

edit: I messed this up some how. edit2: fixed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement