Boundaries

Started by
16 comments, last by Madster 19 years, 1 month ago
Morrowind was surronded by an endless ocean that no mater how far you want out, there were still creatures.

Microsofts Combat Flight Simulator, allowed you to fly anywhare on the globe however, outside of Eastern Europe it was just the ground or water.
Just me
Advertisement
for both gound(fps, rpg) or aircraft games it would be a good idea to have a buffer of empty unimportant land befor you hit a boundry

on star fox i found it very anoying that you could only get few shots off at a time becouse you need a good strafing run but the boundrys limated it, this was epecilly anyoing for enemies that would follow you.
(fighter jets dont work best inside snowglobes)
Quote:Original post by Madster
Making going over the border spawn lots of enemies or such will only encourage power gamers to try it. If you do that, expect it to become a standard competition in your game ("let's see if you can beat me! i went 430mt out before dying!")
actually, that sounds like a lot of fun.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
Quote:Original post by Madster
Making going over the border spawn lots of enemies or such will only encourage power gamers to try it. If you do that, expect it to become a standard competition in your game ("let's see if you can beat me! i went 430mt out before dying!")
actually, that sounds like a lot of fun.
I agree with that. More reasons for them to play the game, and it is completely optional. On top of that it is also a realistic choice.

Suppose you were assigned to bomb an enemy facility, you are often given a window of opportunity before the enemy start coming after you. By going off border, you reduce this window of opportunity (i.e. the enemies engage you earlier than expected because you ran into them as they are coming after you).
If nothing else, it would add replay. Even if you've beaten all the missions and trounced all the other factions, you can load the first level and see how far you can get out into the "danger zone". You could even throw in a feature that keeps a record of your feats. Post those babies on the internet and you're in business.
Quote:Original post by BioMors
Another option might be to have mountains or some sort of rocky terrain at the edge, and create increasingly higher wind speeds as you get out so it becomes more and more difficult to not crash into the jagged rocks below.

I like this idea.

-----------------"Building a game is the fine art of crafting an elegant, sophisticated machine and then carefully calculating exactly how to throw explosive, tar-covered wrenches into the machine to botch-up the works."http://www.ishpeck.net/

For some reason, I like the solutions thats "imposed from above." The thing with starfox was annoying, yes. But those methods always seem to work on me, my field of play has ended and the characters take over flight. I mean, they do it when the stages are over as it, why not?

Though, some people will argue with me about breaking the experience, so heres an alternative.

Lets say you fly your helicopter out of combat zone and your commanding officer calls up and demands you return immediately. You fly out somemore and he calls again, issueing his last warning. Then you have a wingman pleading with you to return, then the boss makes his final command to all allied forces that you've defied orders and have stolen military equipment, and that they're to eliminate you with extreme prejudice.

Combine this with enemy SAMs attacking you from the other side of enemy lines and you have the full battleground covered.
william bubel
Quote:Original post by Estok
I agree with that. More reasons for them to play the game, and it is completely optional. On top of that it is also a realistic choice.

Yeah. I meant you gotta expect it to turn into a competition, whether you consider it one or not. I believe the best approach for this would be as seen in GTA stunts, ie: when shot down it would give you the distance from the border and the enemies you managed to down in that distance, and save it on a stats screen. Like topping on the cake.
Working on a fully self-funded project

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement