• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dark_Coder

Do i need a good PC for.....

This topic is 4881 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Do i need a good PC for game programming and such work or i can do it in my old peace of poo? lol poo lol Im very interested in that,or i should wait and save my money till the cell procesors get here?

Advertisement
A simple PC will work good for beginner.. But i don't know if you have a x286 :D.

I program on a 1.8Mhz machine which many people will call aging. it's better to have a good machine, but "good" in this case means "can play your game". If your doing a "text based game" (meaning no graphics) You'll only need a 486 unless you're doing something extreme.

It really depends on what you're doing or planning on doing, but I'm pretty sure anything your using now should be decent enough to program the beginnings of a game.

Edit: my bad 1.8GHz.

[Edited by - kinglink on March 10, 2005 1:42:51 PM]

Yeap, I agree with everything said. If you are doing intensive gfx programming, you will need a higher class comp. But if not, a low end is fine. RIght now I am on Spring Break, so I didn't get to take my P4 with me. I am at home using a 733mhz P3 with a 64mb Geforce 2. It is far more than sufficient to do a lot of things. Not only that, I've been able to catch a few bugs in my code that I would have not seen on my fast P4. (audio programming).

So I say keep your old comp around for working with but you should get a upper level CPU. I know that the faster you can get and more memory, the better your programming experiences will be [wink]. 'Cell Processors'? Blah, get something now and don't worry about the future. As soon as something new comes out, it will be outdated in a few months anyways, you know? Just the way computing is. I am going for a 64bit though, I'm going to save up to get one as my primary means of compiling to see if it's better than the Prescott P4 line of computing that I'm happy with now.

Quote:
Original post by Tano
A simple PC will work good for beginner.. But i don't know if you have a x286 :D.
I wrote a full Scorched Earth clone in QBasic on an 80286. Ran like a dream, too, with 256 color support and even mouse routines. So don't knock it [grin]

I think a 386 is probably the lowest anyone should go, just because modern compilers and operating systems tend not to work with anything lower.

Quote:
Original post by Lazy Foo
if anything its good to develop on a lower end computer to make sure you games are efficient.
Nonono - it's good to test on a low end computer. You want to develop on as high end a computer as possible, so that you're not waiting six hours for your hello world app to link. [smile]

Whether the spec is sufficient for development is the same question as for anything else - will it be sufficient for the programs you want to run? Compiler, linker, IDE, 3D modelling app, photoshop...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!