Ten games every designer should play

Started by
224 comments, last by Ronnie Mado Solbakken 11 years, 12 months ago
I've found that the "10 games every designer should play" are the ones where I most often say to a colleague, "You ever played [game]? That's a good example of how we should do this."

- Super Mario Bros. 3
- Heroes of Might and Magic 2
- Maniac Mansion 2: Day of the Tentacle
- King's Quest 5
- Half-Life
- Counterstrike
- Liero
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
- C-Dogs
- Escape Velocity
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by litewarri
- King's Quest 5

Not sure about King's Quest 5 being a good example of the adventure game genre; there were too many ways to be still playing the game even though the game was unsolvable (didn't have the right item, or used the wrong item to solve a quest, for example). King's Quest 6 is my pick for the best in the series (although I had a soft spot for King's Quest 3's magic spells).

And Quest for Glory 1 through 4 is better than all of them (my favourite is Quest for Glory 2: Trial by Fire [smile]).

But I totally agree with the remaining nine (well, at least the ones I've played. What's Liero?)

Liero is a freeware game which is sort of like a realtime worms. You can play with 2 players on the same computer, or with 1 player against AI. The game features a large selection of weapons, detructible terrain, and generally very fast gameplay. There are many enhanced version and clones out there including such features as network play (sometimes with more than 2 players), enhanced graphics and additional weapons.

Check it out here.

- Jason Astle-Adams

It's nice that you're organizing all the games into this thread, but why is that list so short? A good game designer needs to play a TON of games. Seriously, if you added every single game mentioned on this thread to the list, then your list would probably be halfway done.

Anyway, has anyone mentioned Facade?
Quote:Original post by pinacolada
It's nice that you're organizing all the games into this thread, but why is that list so short? A good game designer needs to play a TON of games. Seriously, if you added every single game mentioned on this thread to the list, then your list would probably be halfway done.

Anyway, has anyone mentioned Facade?

I think the list should be of playable length. There should be more than 20 games on it.

[Edited by - Daniel Miller on August 5, 2005 10:22:05 AM]
i'm totaly missing one game series:

Alone in the Dark 1-3:
One hell of difficult games by far the hardest games i've ever played

others:

Grandia II
I just play the game 'cause of the battles, they are plain fun

Freespace I + II
there's nothing better than sending a swarm of hornet missile into an shivan butt

Painkiller
Alright, the story isn't that great. And it also doesn't have such nice features like SW Republic Commando (Team Play with AI). The storytelling was like the story... bad...
But tell my whats more fun then blasting dozens of cool-looking, freaky, insane etc. enemies to pieces with the most overpowered weapon ever made (RL + Chaingun AWESOME)
That game teaches you that a great game doesn't have to be overall complex
o and the music was awesome

Fallout Tactics:
The games quite fun but the best thing about it is the feature to play your own music... nice... would be great for Strategy games of all kind

Shining Force I + II
II was brief mentioned once in the thread, but it shows you that with just 6 character states, a handfull of spells, items and weapons a great game could be made
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
- King's Quest 5

Not sure about King's Quest 5 being a good example of the adventure game genre; there were too many ways to be still playing the game even though the game was unsolvable (didn't have the right item, or used the wrong item to solve a quest, for example). King's Quest 6 is my pick for the best in the series (although I had a soft spot for King's Quest 3's magic spells).

And Quest for Glory 1 through 4 is better than all of them (my favourite is Quest for Glory 2: Trial by Fire [smile]).

I think I was a little too impulsive with my list due to nostalgia, regarding King's Quest 5. You're quite right about both KQ6 and QFG.

My choice to replace KQ5, though, is Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. As both a graphic adventure and a game design marvel, I think it trumps all of the aforementioned adventures.
Chucky Egg
Bubble Bobble
Arcamedian Dynasty (one of my all time favs)
Age of Empires
Fallout 2
Neverwinter Nights
Dungeon Keeper
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
Half-Life (1&2)
GodenEye (N64)
IMO you need to update the "games all designers should play" list for RPG's.

At the moment it's rather lacking ... Fallout 1 or 2 should DEFINITELY be up there (especially since you're crediting fable with character development which apart from the good/evil and appearance of your character, was pretty simplistic.)

and at least one of the Final Fantasy series should be up there.

And remove Diablo 2. . . its not even worthy of the RPG title. Its more action/adventure

Thats my 2c anyway
I think I was a little too impulsive with my list due to nostalgia, regarding King's Quest 5. You're quite right about both KQ6 and QFG.

My choice to replace KQ5, though, is Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. As both a graphic adventure and a game design marvel, I think it trumps all of the aforementioned adventures.

Agreed. [smile]

And I also agree that Fallout should be on the list of RPGs to play.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement