Ten games every designer should play

Started by
224 comments, last by Ronnie Mado Solbakken 11 years, 11 months ago
Dungeon Keeper - Disapointed DK3 was cancelled. Someone should pick up the project ;-)

Final Fantasy 4, 6 - I own the original on the NES but those two games were and still are my favourite in the series. I think the newer ones are crap and lost touch of what was really important in the FF series. Espers were just damn cool!

Warcraft (series?) - I first saw this at my cousins and was impressed at his line of archers that kept any orc from getting close. AI wasn't good but the fact that you could build an army was so wicked... I discovered RTS.

Hugo and House of Horror, Hugo in the Jungle - Old DOS games where you had to type in your actions. Never figured out how to get pass the guard in the first game, but finished the 3rd. I think it's comparable to King's Quest...

Gazillionaire - Indie game, simple space trading sim. It had a nice comedic feel and introduced me to the trading games, because of Gaz I'll make a space sim one day :)

River City Ransom - Come on, first street brawler, or first really cool street brawler. I still play it! Just a really wicked game. No Final Fight game was ever able to surpass RCR!

Super Smash Bros - I think it redefines the fighting genre. Just really different and really wicked.

Zelda (Link to the Past, Link's Awakening) - IMHO the best two titles. OoT was just felt like a remake of LttP. Windwaker is worth mentioning because it was completly different then the rest, so it does deserver a spot!

Can't think of anything else right now :P
Advertisement
Just in regard to this topic.

I feel that there are a number of important games missing.

Tabletop is missing Dungeons and Dragons and Risk, both of which I believe show advancements in their respective play-styles.

RTS is missing Total Annihilation, who could forget the one new bot every week for download, not to mention the great content and deep gameplay.

RPG is missing Fallout 2, my personal favourite RPG. When it comes to originality of storyline and taking RPGs out of the stereotypical dungeon, Fallout 2 is the original.

There are two games which I feel are missing but don't fit in to an individual category, MGS and Deus Ex Machina. Both are excellent games in terms of gameplay and content.
Update to the other thread coming soon.

- Jason Astle-Adams

(in no particular order)
1)Marathon (personally, I liked M2: Durandal the best)
One of the best storylines I've ever seen in a game, a meticulously crafted universe.
2)Age of Empires II / Starcraft (both apply here)
just and RTS, but one whose controls seemed intuitave and a multi-civilization system that presented different styles of play
3)GTA (pick one, they're all good for this)
Sandbox gameplay. The "do anything you like" atmosphere is just a different kind of fun.
4)Halo, (yes, another FPS) - storyline, immersive. Good soundtrack, atmosphere.
an AI that does more than hide behind crates and shoot.
5)Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
One of the few Nintendo game I liked, OoT is a great story, with just the right amount of fun thrown in.
6) Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
The game is one of the more innovative of the genre. The atmosphere is amazing and co-op and its unique adverserial multiplayer, and its brilliant (not the best word for it sometimes...) AI.
7)The Kingdom of Loathing
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
An example of brilliance through comedy. One of the best examples that gameplay counts over graphics. Try it, its free.
8)Commander Keen series.
Just... ...fun! A great platform game.
9)Knights of the Old Republic
Immersive RPG! Well thought out.
10)Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
An FPS with an intresting dynamic (force powers)
Reading this thread one thinks that a designer will never have time to design anything for there are so many games he should play...
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
Quote:Original post by staaf
Reading this thread one thinks that a designer will never have time to design anything for there are so many games he should play...

LOL [lol]

This isn't a list of my top fav's, but simply some that I didn't notice whatsoever when reading this list and really deserve mentioning.

Myst & Riven- immersive worlds (so atmospheric that it could make you frightened in a practically static situation), unique concept, puzzles, puzzles, puzzles, oh yeah and a very cool storyline
Golden Sun 1 & 2- There's so much in this game (it's really just one big game told in multiple parts) to love...It's got lots of cool and sometimes difficult puzzles, an incredibly complex and interesting fighting system-between the collectable creatures that simultaneously control certain magical spells, the ability to summon, and your characters' classes (and thus their stats and the regular magic they have available to them) and the ability to swap characters in and out of your attacking party mid-battle, there's bucket-loads of strategy to toy with-, a great story, and immersive characters...what's not to like?
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga- It takes a special sort of game to make you quit playing for a moment so you can literally laugh your ass off...The dual-plumber (back-and-forth and sometimes simultaneous) puzzles are genius too.
Viewtiful Joe- style to the max-This game gives a fresh breath of life to the all but dead 2D scrolling brawler genre. The innovative use of time altering gameplay sometimes makes you feel like the mastermind behind a roadrunner cartoon and will more frequently make you feel (and look) like the ungodly star of a good action movie
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
if there are games i couldn't forget over these years

Baldur's Gate
just massive, i couldn't never finish it

Total Annihilation
i tried the campaign, it was really hard so i tried skirmish and it was awesome

Pokemon Blue, red and gold
I was very addicted to them.....

God of War
i usually don't play ps2, cause i don't have it and just too challenging,
but i gave this one go... i like how the game is based on Greek mythology

Unreal Tournament
i used to hate shooting games until i played this one. the assault mode is fantastic!!!
1. WarioWare, inc.
2. WarioWare, inc.
3. WarioWare, inc.
4. WarioWare, inc.
5. WarioWare, inc.
6. WarioWare, inc.
7. WarioWare, inc.
8. WarioWare, inc.
9. WarioWare, inc.
10. WarioWare, inc.
------------------------------BASIC programmers don't die, they just GOSUB and don't return.
Quote:Original post by GarlandIX
1. WarioWare, inc.
2. WarioWare, inc.
3. WarioWare, inc.
4. WarioWare, inc.
5. WarioWare, inc.
6. WarioWare, inc.
7. WarioWare, inc.
8. WarioWare, inc.
9. WarioWare, inc.
10. WarioWare, inc.

Which microgame is which? [wink]

______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
If you haven't already played more than half the games mentioned here (obviously scaled for your age, hehehe) then you shouldn't really be a designer anyway :p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement