Ten games every designer should play

Started by
224 comments, last by Ronnie Mado Solbakken 11 years, 11 months ago
Indiana Jones, Fate of Atlantis. Surely that game had a great story and character conflict.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
If you haven't already played more than half the games mentioned here (obviously scaled for your age, hehehe) then you shouldn't really be a designer anyway :p

You would have had to spend way too much life to play that many games, most of which are probably boring anyway. :P
GTA Series
[email=wastedhours@gmail.com]-steve[/email]_______________________Freelance Game Journalist / Designer / Occasional Game Developer[GamingHours.com] [RandomlyAccessed]
Dont forget

Gothic and Gothic II
Damn, only 10?

GAME ( ) Significance?

1. Super Mario Bros 3 (nes) AMAZING gameplay.
2. QUEST FOR GLORY I (mac and win) Humor + Adventure = KickAss experience.
3. Bionic Commando (nes) Unique gameplay mechanic, awesome storyline.
4. Streets of Rage2 (gen) (Good gameplay, good level design and music design)
5. Sonic the Hedgehog (gen) (Amazing level design and character design. Great gameplay)
6. Final Fantasy VI (Snes) (Music, story, and characters were/ are unmatched)
7. Chrono Trigger (Snes) (Overall execution of every aspect of production is top notch.)
8. Simcity (Defined the simulation.)
9. River City Ransom (Amazing combination of action, gamplay and RPG elements)
10. Metal Gear Solid (Ps1) (Gameplay with quality cinematic storyline progression.)
i agree with everything you said but "Bionic Commando", that game was just horrible.
Some games I feel every designer should play (a little bit of a modern point of view)<br><br>1) World of Warcraft<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This game has something for every type of player. Quests, rewards, and raids for achievers, the open world for explorers, peer to peer interaction for social gamers, and PvP servers for players who like to cause havoc. The pinnacle of the "Jack of All Trades" category. Also good at the "carrot on a stick" method to keep players playing, especially in for a subscription based model.<br><br>2) Angry Birds<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The ultimate mobile game. Simple gameplay allowing for multiple plays of a single level in the spam of a minute. The go to example for mobile games.<br><br>3) Demon Souls<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Probably the best RPG we've had in a long time in terms of level and challenge design. For those who don't know of the game, when you die, you lose all of your experience and character levels, but you keep your equipment. You can get the experience back, unless you die again, then it's gone for good. This sounds incredibly frustrating, and believe me, it is. But the genius in this game is that every time you die, you died because you made a mistake. There is no such thing as a random death in this game. The best part is you know why you screwed up right as you die, so the thought of "Oh man, that was so stupid. There's no way I'll let that happen again. I'm trying again." And that thought alone shows incredible level design, enemy design, and AI.<br><br>4) Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core Plus / BlazBlue: Continuum Shift<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Why? Character design and balance. Fighting games generally tend to fall under two categories. Either the cast of characters is extremely large and diverse at the cost of balance (Marvel vs Capcom 2), or the differences between characters are minute, sometimes there are clones as well, and some if not most of the characters play in a similar fashion (Ryu / Ken / Akuma / Dan / etc. and before people hate on me, their differences aren't clear to people who play the game for the first time). However, these games are a different beast. Every character has a distinct play style AND every character has a reasonable change of winning. For a fighting game to have such a diverse cast and still be reasonably balanced is good enough to at least look at the game.<br><br>5) Portal<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A case of a simple concept going a long way with excellent level design. It went well enough to warrant a sequel, and that plans of taking the level design up to the next level (although the concepts are becoming less simple).<br><br>6) Farmville<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Yes you're reading this correctly. And before you dismiss this one, think about this. The number of people playing Farmville is about 1% of the Earth's population. I don't care what you think of the game, you should learn why it's so damn popular.<div><br></div><div>7) Ico / Shadow of the Colossus&nbsp;</div><div><span class="Apple-tab-span" style="white-space:pre"> </span>Yes these are often cliche choices on most people's top games lists, but they are there for a reason. The games do wonders for showing how gameplay and story can coexist. Everything you do in these games directly advances the story, and the story heavily influences the player's motivation for playing the game. Anything by Team ICO should be played and enjoyed.<br><br>More to come

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"></div></div>
Secret of Mana - SNES and Series
Breath of Fire Series
Suikoden Series
I enjoyed Secret of Evermore.
Chrono Trigger. Never got around to play Chrono Cross.
Baulders Gate
Champions of Norrath
Champions of Norrath Return to Arms. Not sure but this part two game was really in depth with details but it seemed like it had to many bugs for loading time and it kept freezing up on me. I remember getting up to or around the clock work area or junk yard area that nuts and gears everywhere. But it was such a waste of time of loading. Did any one have this type of problem as well? I really wanted to get further. But oh well.

Zelda series
Y's 3 series
Equinox - SNES
Illusion of Gaia - Snes
This really depends. I doubt there are ten absolute games every designer, because every game a designer plays will be helpful.

If you're looking to create an RPG you should probably play a bunch of RPG's and if you want to design a FPS, play FPS games. Research appropriate things.

To me it's almost more important to play games that are considered to be disappointments to the general public and figure out what went wrong.

I can recommend dozens of games, but I could never pick out ten that would be more important than other games.
http://hakoladesign.blogspot.com
The one game that has stuck in my head all these years is Final Fantasy Tactics. Not for the game it's self so much, as it was full of exploitable mechanic flaws, but the Sound Effects.

13 years later and I can still vividly remember the crunch of leather when the one character grabbed the other by his shirt and lifted him up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement