• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kibble

Visual Studio's XML documentation and C++?

This topic is 4965 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can the XML documentation that appears in C# wizard generated code be used in C++ meaningfully? I like the idea of this and would like to start using this in my project, but it is (unmanaged) C++. I'm having a lot of difficulty figuring out if it can be used with C++, all the info I can find about it is for .Net languages. Anyone know?

Advertisement
I assume you mean the XML code commenting in Visual Studio (i.e. <summary>, <param>, <remarks> etc.) There is support for unmanaged c++ XML code commenting, but unfortunately its not as complete as in the managed languages: Unlike C#, there is no code completion for the XML comment tags which makes it easier to add to your code (the upcoming Visual Studio 2005 apparently fixes this as far as I'm aware).

If you look up "Recommended Tags for Documentation Comments" on the MSDN you can find some of the built in tags. I've used this before with no problem and was able to generate documentation.

You might also want to look into Doxygen which many people use for code documentation - there certainly is more information about this than about Visual Studios XML.

Hope that helps [smile]

EDIT: fixed links

Quote:
I've used this before with no problem and was able to generate documentation.

Good to hear this, I am going to start using it.

I had found the "Recommended Tags for Documentation Comments" and pages like it before but it is about C# so I wasn't sure it was applicable to unmanaged C++. Things like the 'permission' tag threw me off a bit.

Thanks for the info :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!