Which file format

Started by
8 comments, last by dnaxx 19 years, 1 month ago
Hello, I am using both, static and animated characters. Now, I am wondering which file format is best for my game. I thought about .md3 or .3ds. What's your opinion? thanks,
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by dnaxx
Hello,

I am using both, static and animated characters. Now, I am wondering which file format is best for my game.
I thought about .md3 or .3ds. What's your opinion?

thanks,

Details on your game please?
sorry. i forgot these :):
It's a game similar to max payne. you can walk through levels, shoot around.
animated things are:
- the main character (you) who is going around
- an intro scene

Currently I am working with gmax and 3d studio max.
sorry. i forgot these :):
It's a game similar to max payne.

[smile] Ohhh, nice! I hope it has bullet time [grin]. I think working with .3DS would be easier if you can use 3dsmax. I mean I am a programmer and I can make simple (and sucky) models in 3dsmax [wink]. As for making .md3's, I have never done before, but you could use Discreet's free GMAX for that as well. Decisions, decisions... What formats do your maps use? You want a format that could easily integrate with whatever the other objects are as well.
btw: is it possible to use md3 for the surroundings (houses, etc...). I just read a document, which says that md3 ist only for character animation (head - middle - foot + weapon)?
I am using both, static and animated characters. Now, I am wondering which file format is best for my game.
I thought about .md3 or .3ds. What's your opinion?

Did you try .X format? It is simple, readable (text version) and extendable... DirectX has excellent API for it...

Bulma
I use MilkShape 3D ASCII models and get it compiled to my own custom model format, this way I can achieve what I couldn't with any of those models, to load a model from a file and many diferent animations from other files...
It's not that hard...

I prefer MS3D ASCII because it's simple to parse and, oposing to md3 and 3ds (I think), it uses skeletal animation, wich is better than mesh keyframed animation
You could give it a try...
error C2065: 'signature' : undeclared identifier
Quote:Original post by Bulma
Did you try .X format? It is simple, readable (text version) and extendable... DirectX has excellent API for it...

I am using OpenGL.
Quote:Original post by Bulma

I am using OpenGL.

That doesn't matter. It's just a file format as with the DirectDrawSurface (DDS) format.
You can find details on the format on http://www.wotsit.org
It's just like writing any other loader...
Killers don't end up in jailThey end up on a high-score!
ok. just back to one of my questions: is it possible (and intelligent) to use md3 for buildings and other static objects?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement