• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Beren77

[java] (Dynamic) Shadows with Java3D

This topic is 4966 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am pretty new to Java3D and I just figured out that there is no "inherent" way to produce shadows (i.e. there is no class like "ShadowedPointLight" or no attribute to create the same effect). Now I read the articles here on GameDev to find out about how shadowing is done in general, but, since I do not have much background in 3D, the description of advanced rendering techniques was too difficult for me to adapt to Java3D... So, in short: Is there an easy way to create shadows in Java3D (I would love to see static ones for a start :-), although my ultimate goal is to produce dynamic ones)... Or do you know any (easy) introduction to creating shadowing effects? (I tried google, of course). Thanks! Beren

Advertisement

no, there is no "Shadow" object or similar in j3d. No shadowing "ready out of the box" is implemented. The reason is that there are several ways of doing it, and usually one of them is chosen depending on the needs and proprieties of the scene. Realistic dynamic shadows are very complex and very computation heavy. Therefore, simplifications are often used.

You can find general articles on shadows here on gamedev:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=72

I can't help you since i don't know much in this field, maybe you'll have better luck at:
http://www.javagaming.org/cgi-bin/JGNetForums/YaBB.cgi?board=3D

Thanks for your help and the links! I will go and check them out.

I just realized that shadows are not really my first problem... Maybe I should try to get the interaction working first :-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!