• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Structure

indie game jam

This topic is 4991 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, in the indie game jam a while ago , http://www.indiegamejam.com/igj2/index.html they used Atman Binstock’s 2d physics engine, this seems to handle a large number of objects with stacking quite well, as the source never got released I was wondering if anybody knew what type of system it implemented and if it used any special tricks to get reliable stacking of such a large number of objects.

Advertisement
I fired off an email to him, see if he'll answer; he's sometimes very busy and just doesn't get to his emails. :) I played around with his 2d/3d physics code at one point, but my knowledge of physics and physics methods is sketchy, so I don't remember what I looked at.

@mossmoss

Thanks, I couldnt find a contact for Atman , so I sent one to Chris Hecker to try and get some info, but its likely that he's been tyed up with the game developer conference as of late,

Well we’l wait and see how we do :)

Here's the reply I got from Atman:

"semi-implicit integration of penalty forces"

That's all I know. Good day. :)

Interesting,

That would make sense as penalty methods can be very fast but a bit soft, if you look at “stunt hamsters” (which is a very inspiring game I must say) they do behave not entirely rigid when they hit each other.

It sounds a bit like a 2d representation of the paper Rick Baltman released at the 2004 game developer conference, which is handy because it was a direction I was thinking of trying next,

Well ill see how it goes, thanks I wouldn’t of been able to get this info without you!

I expect he's read that paper (probably read any paper on physics), but I don't know how much he took from it. I know he started doing some of his physics coding at least from 1998, although I'm not sure it was penalty methods back then. I am fairly sure he started using penalty methods before 2004, though.

Sorry I was a bit unclear, the paper I mentioned sounded a bit like what he said, not the method he defiantly used or drew from, I think I read somewhere that he’s been developing it for over 2 years on and off which is prob why it runs so fast :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!