If ill use a 3DEngine wish one would i go for?

Started by
9 comments, last by Sandman 19 years, 1 month ago
Im beggining with all this programming and so,and i was wondering if using an engine will help me to understand(easier)how C++(or other PL's) and how 3d engines work? I have been looking around and saw a few that interested me: -TORQUE2D -TORQUE -BlitzMax -Blitz3D -DarkBasic -3DGamesStudio I was wondering if any of you have any experience on this engines or now anything about how they work,simple to use and features. Are they good for a begginer like me? Will they help me to understand more concepts about engines and how to make my own? Thanx for the help,and i wish you well on your projects!
Advertisement
This is a pretty mixed up list.

Torque is a full blown game engine with editing tools shipped as a set of class libraries that you would use or extend in a C++ based application.
DarkBasic is a programming language which features some extensions specially suited for (simple) graphics programming. It is not an engine in the usual sense of this word nor is it suited for anything remotely complex.
3D Game Studio is an authoring kit, which enables you to some level, to create 3D games without any programming knowledge.

Neither of all this is suited to help you understand how C++ or 3D engines in general work. If you want to learn by looking at existing stuff, I'd recommend you to grab yourself a free copy of Microsoft's Visual C++ Express, download Ogre, a well written and powerful 3D engine and start experimenting.

If you literally fall on your nose, start lower. 3D engines are an architectural challenge requiring the experience of many years of programming experience.

-Markus-
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
I believe my answer to a similar question posted by another user earlier today may be of interest to you.

In my opinion, you would be better off learning without an engine until you have the basics down. Although it's not so exciting, I think in the long run you would be better off if you started with some console mode programs to familiarise yourself with the basics of programming in C++, as an engine is a very complex thing.

If you want, you could take a look at one of the free engines (at this point I'm of the opinion that you would be unwise to invest in an engine you may not be capable of using till learning a lot more) that are out there (such as the free 3d engine OGRE, as suggested above), and taking a look at it, but just from looking at your previous questions, as well as this one, I'd say there's a good chance you won't yet be able to understand it, and will probably have trouble using it beyond a few basic example programs.

Learn the basics, and then check out an engine if you wish. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

- Jason Astle-Adams

First of all Blitz3D is not really much of an engine (basicly its like a DirectX wrapper). More like a easy to learn programable 3D rendering solution. You will have to program your own game engine texture/mesh/sound resource managers. Level loading managers, visability culling structures, this atop the basic gameplay mechanics. If you want a "console" you'll have to program that too...overall a great learning tool, down side is that it isn't very OOP friendly.

BlitzMAX is another one to try. It gives you more lower level control (than with Blitz3D), and is designed to be used in a slightly more OOP friendly manner. down side is that out of the box it lacks even the Blitz3D 3D rendering system...so you will have to program that yourself and/or use/modify what becomes freely available through the community.

What about the new Torque 2D?

So in other words you guys are telling me that i should go and learn C++ and build my own engine?
Might want to check out some books on 3d engine game programming. Torque is an excellent engine, but you won't learn much about the internals without paying the $100 license fee. You can use the demo engine and create an entire FPS game on your own, with your own models, textures, terrain and such using Torques built in level editor. 3D Game Programming All In One uses the demo of the Torque engine and covers quite a bit on modeling and creating you own little worlds.

oh, you will not learn 3D engine programming or C++ by having the source code. If you don't have a handle on the 3D programming basics; Torques's source just going to confuse you.
No offense intended, but you should really just grab a beginner's C++ book (or whatever language you want) and sit and do the work and learn it. Practice it and then learn the mathematics behind 3d graphics if you wish to pursue that. It just sounds like you're trying to take easy ways out instead of putting in actual work. It really takes many years to go from little programming experience to writing full blown engines. Even more if you're unfamiliar with the math you will be using.

Of course I don't mean this rudely at all. Don't take it that way. I'm simply saying if you put in the work, it's immensely rewarding in the end to see what you've created. If you just take the easy way out and use one of those things you don't need any experience and you can make simple games with it might be fun for a bit. But it will most likely get old quickly because of the limitations and knowledge that most of what is there isn't even your doing. Not to say those pre-made game things are bad but from wha tyou posted it doesn't sound like what you ultimately want to be doing. You will NOT learn good programming habits by using them. Programming is more of a discipline and an artform. One that takes time to learn.

So good luck in whatever you decide, man.
EASYWAY=BAD!!!!!!

ok its 5:43 in the morning im reading Thinkin in C++,ill try and do everything it says.

Good Bye and seeya around!
Quote:Original post by Dark_Coder
So in other words you guys are telling me that i should go and learn C++ and build my own engine?

If he were dead, johnhattan would be spinning in his grave right now. Read me...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement