Freebie Memory Leak Tool for VS C++ 6?

Started by
10 comments, last by paulecoyote 19 years, 1 month ago
Hi, we've got a large legacy application at work thats leaking memory a bit. I was just wondering if anybody has any free alternitives to BoundsChecker for Visual Studio 6 (or I suppose 2003 but we've not converted the project because it's a bit nasty). We all have fully licenced VS 2003 Enterprise Edition too, and it may be that something already exists in there that we're missing. At the moment the project is in VS C++ 6 though, and would be a real pain to convert (because it's not your normal project). We've found a neat program that's helped a bit called "Debuggy", but something that lets you step in and out of source code files as well would be awesome. http://web.vip.hr/inga.vip/index.htm I did do a search on the forum before posting and found nothing relevant, but excuse me if I am repeating something recently posted. Thanks for any links etc! Paul
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Advertisement
Look up _CrtSetDbgFlag in the MSDN. When the application exits, it lists all the memory that wasn't freed together with its allocation number. Run the program again, this time calling _CrtSetBreakAlloc (<the number reported previously>) and the program will stop when the leaky memory is allocated. You should then be able to quickly determine why it isn't being freed.

Skizz
hehe, that's a bit rustic.
Check out my memory tracker.
E8 17 00 42 CE DC D2 DC E4 EA C4 40 CA DA C2 D8 CC 40 CA D0 E8 40E0 CA CA 96 5B B0 16 50 D7 D4 02 B2 02 86 E2 CD 21 58 48 79 F2 C3
Thank you, both look interesting, rated you up. Cheers!
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Jan > I cannot access your server, gives me a 403 Forbidden for the link at the top:

http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~urkt/mmgr.zip

Cheers,

Paul
Glad to.

Quote:I cannot access your server, gives me a 403 Forbidden for the link at the top:

Uhoh, looks like the student server is having problems. Download made available on a different system.
E8 17 00 42 CE DC D2 DC E4 EA C4 40 CA DA C2 D8 CC 40 CA D0 E8 40E0 CA CA 96 5B B0 16 50 D7 D4 02 B2 02 86 E2 CD 21 58 48 79 F2 C3
got it, thanks
Flui d Studios Memory Manager

Been using it in all my projects for a very long time and I haven't yet found a bug in it.
Thanks MENTAL, I've rated you up for that and will take a look.
For anyone else, the homepage link (rather then straight to archive is here:
http://www.fluidstudios.com/
Quote:Original post by MENTAL
Flui d Studios Memory Manager

Been using it in all my projects for a very long time and I haven't yet found a bug in it.
Yup, I can recommend this too. Unfortunately, it only works with single threaded applications. If you try using it in a multithreaded app without modifying it to add enter critical sections or something, then you'll get all sorts of weird bugs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement