#1.2 Technical demo of Sculpture Clay 0.91

Started by
11 comments, last by Koshmaar 19 years, 1 month ago
Hi Today I finished writing #1.2 technical demo of my mini engine - just like subject states :-) I post about it here, because I would like to test compatibility and hardware requirements, especially video and sound card, video drivers, DirectX version, Windows version etc. Demo is available here: clicky - it is win32 executable. I would be really gratefull, if you would run it also in windowed mode (change fullscreen to false in config.cfg) and with vsync disabled (manually in card properties) and post here number of FPS, that was printed on window border, along with you computer's CPU, RAM, video card... and maybe operating system? Also, if you will have any problems with running it, don't hesitate to write here. (if you want to stress test this demo, hold middle and right mouse buttons, and repeatedly press left button - see what I mean :-) )
Advertisement
Hmm I didn't see any fps
Sorry, FPS are printed on window border in windowed mode, so you should...

Quote: run it also in windowed mode (change fullscreen to false in config.cfg) and with vsync disabled (manually in card properties) and post here number of FPS, that was printed on window border

Anyway, it's working - and that's very good :-)
Ok I only tested in windowed 800x600 I got 30 - 75(vsync)

My specs are :

Windows XP
1.2 Celeron
256 RAM
RADEON 9000
Hmmm, not very great result :-/
I thought that when I'm using OpenGL for 2d graphics I don't need to bother with limiting myself to the number and quality of effects on the screen, and I won't need to optimize - seems I was too optimistic with my expectations :-/

Anyway, big thx for downloading and running my demo!

Maybe someone else will help me too...?
Looking good! I get approx 75-80fps when stressing it.

Athlon XP 2800+
768Mb
Radeon 9800pro
WinXP

How do you do your particle systems? Particle systems are a massive fps killer if you don't get them right. I minimize dynamic allocation by allocating a particle pool when the systems are created.
Runs fine in both full screen and window mode.
I have around 120/140 fps without pressing both buttons at the same time, and 80\90 when pressing them

AMD xp 2300
512 Ram
Radeon 9800 SE
Windows XP

Quote:
Looking good! I get approx 75-80fps when stressing it.

Athlon XP 2800+
768Mb
Radeon 9800pro
WinXP

Hey, thx :-) but it would be very strange if with THOSE specs, you would get smaller FPS :-)

Quote:
How do you do your particle systems? Particle systems are a massive fps killer if you don't get them right. I minimize dynamic allocation by allocating a particle pool when the systems are created.

Not getting into details (I'm going out now), I do them like this: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/extpart/ and this: http://jnr.sourceforge.net/readarticle.php?article_id=3

You can look at the implementation if you want, it's here: http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/jnr/engine/Others/ParticleEngine/

Quote:
I have around 120/140 fps without pressing both buttons at the same time, and 80\90 when pressing them

AMD xp 2300
512 Ram
Radeon 9800 SE
Windows XP

Wow guys, some of you have really great computers - mine is Athlon 900 Mhz, 512RAM and Geforce4Mx, and I get about 50-55 fps when stress testing it.
nice demo... altough not really impressive. i'm waiting for something bigger built on this engine - show us sth made with your gui.

my fps: 70

computer: pentium III 1500, 256 ram and Geforce 4
Looks nice, though the sounds are somewhat annoying :)

FPS (unstressed): 70
FPS (stressed) : 55-60

Specs:
------
Athlon XP 1800+
512MB DDR RAM (333MHz)
ATI Radeon 9600SE
WinXP SP2

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement