developing for consoles

Started by
5 comments, last by Lord_Spatulator 19 years ago
I was wondering how hard it is to develop for PS2 or XBOX. Is it a case of knowing C++ or do you use another language. Also do you have to register with the companies to get extra stuff?
----------------------George MorrisBlue Arrow Studios CEOSite and email coming soon!!!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by CrystalMagma
Is it a case of knowing C++ or do you use another language.

Yes. You will use C / C++ along with a bit of assembler most of the time.
Quote:
Also do you have to register with the companies to get extra stuff?

You will have to become a licensed developer to gain access to the SDK, development kits and documenation. There is no chance for an individual to get registered, though. If you have a working prototype of a game that impresses some publisher, they will get you a license once you have a contract with them.
May want to check this site out if you are interested in the PS2.

-Jake
Quote:Original post by CrystalMagma
I was wondering how hard it is to develop for PS2 or XBOX.
Personally, I'd say that developing for the Xbox is easier than PC.

Quote:
Is it a case of knowing C++ or do you use another language.
Both.

Quote:
Also do you have to register with the companies to get extra stuff?
Yes.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Why not try developing for the Dreamcast? It should powerful enough to do what you want. Also, no legal troubles as far as game distributing and developing.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

There are libs for the psx too. Try googling: 'psx homebrew'.
------------------<a href="http://jsgc.sourceforge.net>jsgc
Quote:Original post by superpig
Personally, I'd say that developing for the Xbox is easier than PC.

Cool, so, do you like, need a modded XBox or something? Are there any links other than the one in the forum FAQ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement