• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

can applets communicate with applications

This topic is 4816 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm developing a multiplayer online tcg. However, I wasn't sure whether to make it an application to keep operation speeds high, or to make it an applet to keep downloading for the user at a minimum. My solution is to make an applet version, as well as an application version so that the user may decide if he wants to sacrifice hard drive space for speed or not. If I do this,is it possible to make one version communicate with the other using sockets. For example, "John" downloaded the application version of the game. "Ted" only plays through the applet version, because he is at school (slacker). Will "Ted" be able to play against "John", or is he stuck playing against other applet users. I don't need raw code examples, but algorithms would be helpful, thanks.

Advertisement
applets still run entirely client side, so either way the download costs would be exactly the same. the only difference is that "Ted" (the slacker) would have to download it every single time he plays.

I'm not sure of the specifications for applets, but i know they run in a very restricted virtual machine and don't have the full suite of functions that a normal application would have. However, I'm pretty sure that they have full network support so you should be able to communicate between applets and normal apps.

-me

To answer your initial question: yes, it is possible for different versions of the game to talk to each other. The bits that go on the wire (your protocol) should be the same in either case; the other end won't be able to tell one version from the other.

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
To answer your initial question: yes, it is possible for different versions of the game to talk to each other. The bits that go on the wire (your protocol) should be the same in either case; the other end won't be able to tell one version from the other.

In the case of applet->app, no it's not possible. Java applets can only open up connections to the server from which they were served. It would be possible to set up a game server on the same machine that hosts the applet and do the client-server bit, but cleint-client isn't possible for applets.

Thanks for clarifying: the Java applet API security model does not allow connections directly to other clients. Other applet models, such as ActiveX, or .NET, would allow such connections, but are not as widely portable. Yet another choice to make in choosing your environment...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!