• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tokenblackguy

IDE like Visual J#

This topic is 4900 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if there was a freeware/open source IDE that was like Visual J#. Having to type long blocks of code to make the GUI is a bit annoying and I'm looking for a more visual solution; free of course. If there aren't any free one's, what is the cheapest one I can get without losing capability.

Advertisement
Well, Visual J# Express Edition is free, Eclipse is also free and has a visual editor and Sun's Netbeans is free as well.

JCreator

We used a free version of that at school, and it was an alright IDE. I don't mind it. Which is saying a lot considering how much I dislike Java. [smile]

I can't install Visual J++ because I run ME, and you have to have 2000 or greater. NetBeans is good, but it has a lot of glitches in it that I find irritating. Does Eclipse (mentioned eariler) have a form builder/editor similer to the other two programs (netbeans & Visual J#). If so, how do I get to it? Thanks

-Token

There are a few GUI designer plugins for Eclipse. I can't recommend one as I haven't tried any of them. Eclipse Visual Editor is a foundation for GUI builder plugins, but provides a reference implementation you might find useful. If that doesn't do it for you snoop around Eclipse Plugin Central and see what you find.

You can apparently install the Visual Editor by going to Help, Software Updates, and Find and Install in Eclipse. It depends on EMF and GEF, so check those too when selecting things to install. Sweet, I've been looking for something like this for Java.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!