• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
graveyard filla

what language / API should i use for a windows application?

This topic is 4821 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, recently i have been given the chance to work on a small commercial project. anyway, im a little nervous about this because i have no application programming experiance, aside from the level editors i have made. however, i always used SDL / OpenGL to make them. the only language i know with confidence is C++, but i know a little Python. i am allowed to use any language i want. can anyone recommend to me what i should do? i own VS.net 2003 (the entire suite). i quickly went through it creating new C# and C++ applications. it seems like the winforms interface to C# and C++ are the same? is this how all of .NET is? should i just stick with C++, and use winforms? i have no experiance with managed C++, is there any quirks i should know about? would it be faster to learn C# and use C# forms? what about MFC? what about other languages? i like Python, but i'd prefer to not use it since i dont like writing large projects with it. so far im thinking using C++ w/ winforms will be my best bet, since i am confident in C++ and would only have to learn the winforms GUI, which seems pretty strait forward. thanks for any help. [Edited by - graveyard filla on March 20, 2005 12:53:11 AM]

Advertisement
If you're looking for something to use to rapidly create a windows app, I'd probably recommend MFC. As much as some people hate MFC it's incredibly trivial to make most windows applications with it. If you are comfortable enough with C# though, use that instead.

I can't see whats wrong with python. If your going with managed C++ then you will probably need to know abit more about managed c++ than just plain C++ plus winforms alone to use effectively that is, its not very nice hence MS introducing a new standard language C++/CLI first compiler implementing it being VC++ .NET 2005 its not completely ready yet though. I'd personally say if not python then for the time being go with C#.

Quote:
Original post by DrEvil
If you're looking for something to use to rapidly create a windows app, I'd probably recommend MFC. As much as some people hate MFC it's incredibly trivial to make most windows applications with it. If you are comfortable enough with C# though, use that instead.

im looking at MFC right now.. is there anything to MFC besides just a GUI? i mean, if i use MFC in my app, can i just write regular C++ code? will there be anything weird i should know about (like how winforms brings managed C++ and other things to the table). also, i dont know any C#, which is why i would prefer to use C++. however what im looking for is what will get the job done fastest, and learning a language might take too long (even if its just a day or 2..).

Quote:

I can't see whats wrong with python. If your going with managed C++ then you will probably need to know abit more about managed c++ than just plain C++ plus winforms alone to use effectively that is, its not very nice hence MS introducing a new standard language C++/CLI first compiler implementing it being VC++ .NET 2005 its not completely ready yet though. I'd personally say if not python then for the time being go with C#.

im not exactly the biggest Python fan. well, i absolutely love Python, and everything it can do. however i just hate the whole no braces thing and whitespace-actually-means-something thing. i just cant get used to it and would prefer to not use it. also, you think that learning C# and using winforms would be faster then just using C++ and winforms?

last, what about the Win32 API? is that just way out of the question in times of how long it would take to learn / use?

thanks again.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Avoid Managed C++ until VS2005 since it will change a lot. C# is probably your best bet. You'll be able to learn it really quickly if you know C++.

In all seriousness, although it may look unprofessional if not done right, do that sucker in SDL man! If all it is doing is data processing, with minimal user input, then this would not be that hard at all. Heck, I can make a quick little demo of what it might look like if you want me to. It is not entirely out of the question. Cna you please tell me more of what you are doing?

Win32 API will take a while to get used to if you don't already know it, and MFC is definitely easier to use, no matter how badly designed it is. MFC is just a set of C++ classes, you can still use C++ while using it. On the other hand if you don't like MFC you can always use something like wxWindows. If you already know (a little) winforms I would go with that cause MFC is really not well-designed.

Cheers!

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
In all seriousness, although it may look unprofessional if not done right, do that sucker in SDL man! If all it is doing is data processing, with minimal user input, then this would not be that hard at all. Heck, I can make a quick little demo of what it might look like if you want me to. It is not entirely out of the question. Cna you please tell me more of what you are doing?

heh, ive done GUI app's in SDL / OpenGL before and it was just plain hell =). however, those were level editors which were probably more complicated then what im doing. although i must admit, i would love to be able to just bang it out using SDL. this would make things very simple because then i wouldnt have to learn a new language / API.

i dont have the full spec on it yet, but after a brief discussion, the gist of it is i will take in stock ticker data from a feed, print out some charts, upload data to a database, and do some statistics (i heard the word "linear regression" mentioned). the guy said this should be a "simple" program and shouldnt take more then a week or two to make. i have to admit, im a little nervous [grin].

i dont know any winforms, or any C# for that matter. i think i'll wait for the spec before making any major decisions. if everything is offline, and the GUI can be simple, then i might just use SDL. if i have to pull an XML file from a website and have a complex GUI then im gunna have to start reading some C# tutorials.

thanks again everyone, and ill look into wxWidgets like you suggested.

Quote:
Original post by graveyard filla
i dont know any winforms, or any C# for that matter. i think i'll wait for the spec before making any major decisions. if everything is offline, and the GUI can be simple, then i might just use SDL. if i have to pull an XML file from a website and have a complex GUI then im gunna have to start reading some C# tutorials.

Yea, I think that is a smart move, but you could go ahead get a jump start on C#, it wouldn't hurt any [wink]. I think I want to make my own SDL 'windows' library now [smile]. I had something going a while back but lost it during a format. If you could get MFC down, it would be really easy to use that, as others have suggested. I used it for my audio library tester program. It was a less than 30 min app. The hard part was coding in all the stuff to use my library. The actual GUI is a drag and drop and that's it. However, I'd suggest using VS6 to do MFC. MFC 7 is just a pain and I have trouble with it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!