• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Four

What language/library's

This topic is 4903 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just want to create simple games that I can share. What language or library's should I use to create games. I currently know C++, VB, I don't want to learn OpenGL, I tried to but it seems to much work for simple games. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
well C++ is the language i wold go with as for a simple game, if you want 3D the I would use DirectX but the is what i use anyways but if you want 2D maybe you should try SDL, you can move to 3D with SDL and Opengl later on too.

well i was just stating that becusae he did not mention if you wanted 3D or 2D, if he wants 3D then he really only has 2 real options: DirectX or OpenGL.

I dont want to start another "OpenGL vs. DX" war per se, but I think if your doing any 3D stuff you have to go with opengl. Cross platform, and I dont see any difference in terms of functionality and how powerful they are.

*For 2D definately go with SDL, its easy and really nice.

well since i have been using directX and i have no real interest in releasing anything i build for any other than windows, there is no real reason to use OpenGL IMO.

Quote:
Original post by Four
I just want to create simple games that I can share. What language or library's should I use to create games.
I currently know C++, VB, I don't want to learn OpenGL, I tried to but it seems to much work for simple games.

If you know VB, you can also look for VB.NET and use it with Managed DX... It`s by far the most easiest API I have seen... It also have excellent support for 2D stuff (Sprites, etc...), so I think it is what you need...
Later, you can easily add 3D stuff, as you have full Direct3D support...

Quote:
Original post by 3dmodelerguy
well since i have been using directX and i have no real interest in releasing anything i build for any other than windows, there is no real reason to use OpenGL IMO.

I run windows about 1/4 of the time, alot of my friends run mac and linux only, we WANT to use your games but we cant.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!