• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kriskramer

[web] Creating a combat simulator

This topic is 4903 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey. I'm new to these boards so I hope I'm in the right spot, although I guess I can't go wrong posting in the Beginner's section. :) Like everyone and their mother, I'm working on a game design, but I want to flesh out parts of it as soon as I can. I created a Character class in C# that handles all the character attributes, and I'm working on a Combat class that will take two Character objects and handle 1 on 1 combat between them. My question is, if I want to set up a website that allows people to try this out against each other, what would be my best approach? I could create a website that uses a turn-based system to update pages as combat progresses, but that would be a beating for the user. I've heard suggestions such as applets/activeX or something similar, but my experience with those is limited. I've also heard that I could just do a MUD instead, but my experience with those is also limited. There will only be a few users at the most on this system, and performance is not a major factor as I'm only trying to test aspects of the combat system, not provide an actual 'game' (although I'd like it to be close). Any suggestions?

Advertisement
In my experience thus far, which, admittidly, isn't all that great, I would think a java applet type deal would be the best bet, although I'm not completely familiar with how the networking aspect of an applet works.

Possibly flash, but I've never used that technology, and I don't know what kind of user input, networking stuff you can expect. But it's something to at least look at to see if it's what you need.

I had a friend that was making a web based mud using php... what he ended up doing is using a database to store all of the game state, and to constantly refreshed the page to update the chat feature of the game. IMO it didn't turn out so well because he was CONSTANTLY refreshing the page (annoying, a waste of good bandwidth, and a waste of valuable server time and resources), but it is a way to deal with things none the less.

Maybe even .Net? I dunno if you could do a multiple-person update with .Net....

as you can tell, I'm really no expert, but maybe you can look in those directions to see if they do what you want...?

good luck!

One thing I've considered trying is the XMLHttpRequest method to send updates back and forth without reloading the page each time. There wont be any chat to refresh, but it will need to keep combat updated at a pretty high level. Hopefully, since only a couple people will be using it at a time, this method might work out.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!