• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
guero

[.net] GUI in managed DirectX

This topic is 4736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm doing some research for information about building a GUI in Managed DirectX for my game but I don't have much experience on this subject (and therefore it automaticly gets more fun :P). I've checked the tutorial in the articles section but that wasn't really what I was looking for. Now to my question; Is there anyone here who has experience of building an event-driven GUI that want to share some information with me? Best regards / Patrik Svensson, Sweden P.S: Yes, I've already checked the DXUtility-GUI class that comes with DirectX but that wasn't very useful. D.S.

Advertisement
In the SDK there is an example of GUI functions, These are built into the sampleframework that comes with the SDK. Also there is some information in Toms second book on creating your own using the sample framework.

As i said above I've already checked the SDK-GUI Classes out.
I just wanted opinions and a discussion about it.

Toms second book? Can you be a little more specific?

Best regards / Patrik

I've built my GUI system using MDX in C# and it's come together really smoothly. If you have specific questions, you can PM me and I'll give you any help I can provide :)

Check out Crazy Eddie's GUI ported to C#. You can grab it from CVS here:

:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ceguisharp

It is currently the best GUI system in managed code that I've seen for a game.

Tom Millers Second book, Beginning 3d game programming.

It goes through creating 2 complete games in 3D using the sample framework from the SDK. It also takes you through building the UI for the game including Textboxes and dialog boxes (These are built from scratch using standard mdx code).

Also a user on www.ircomm.net called 'bonk' is working on a GUI system, you might be able to get in touch with him. He has a screen shot in the gallery of his work. You can also catch 'bonk' on the irc channel #manageddx on efnet.

Quote:
Original post by Saruman

Are we meant to just stick that into our brower's address bar??

Quote:
Original post by DrGUI
Quote:
Original post by Saruman

Are we meant to just stick that into our brower's address bar??

No. You will need to get a CVS client. Here are a couple:
wincvs
TortoiseCVS

Personally I dispise CVS and so I would warn you to learn a little about it before you spatter your drive with a doodoo of cryptically named and permissioned files.

GUI's aren't actually to hard to create, especially if your looking at creating a windows style one. They way I've always handled it is to create a secondary "camera" that has an orthographic projection. Then each window is rendered with 2 quads - one for the title bar and one for the actual window. Gadgets are parented onto the window using the scene graph and stuff - it really just fits in with every thing else.
Now, the solution I present may well not be the best (I don't know) but it works for me, maintains a super low fill rate so..yea :P

If you have other questions, feel free to ask away :)

Why do people always use orthographic projections rather than transformed geometry?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!