• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jiia

Cutting a mesh with no seams

This topic is 4822 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working with a skinmesh, and I want to seperate the mesh into several parts, and leave no visual evidence behind. I've noticed that even games created with the Half-Life 2 engine have seams on character necks (referring to Vampire The Masquerade). If anyone knows a nice way to avoid this, without wasting memory or processing, please let me know. I have an idea, but one of the steps eludes me. I need to load in a skin-mesh with several subsets (material id's), and delete one of the subsets. I use D3DX to load the skin information and mesh data, but I'll likely need to go through this part the hard way, since D3DX probably doesn't support such routines. I convert my skins over to indexed blended, and render them by subsets. This means the rendering calls are already seperated by subsets, which I would think means deleting one of them should be pretty straight-forward. Anyone know how to do this? Function names are good enough for me. I appreciate any help

Advertisement
Assuming you're seperating the mesh by clipping it by planes, the vertices that are on the front and back side of the plane should correspond with eachother. I've not tried it, but find which vertices are closest to the same and make them the same, that way when you render them, they're the same point and there's no problems from precision, at least from where it's clipped.
Again, I've never tried that, so it might explode and kill everyone you love. Have fun. [smile]
You're losing a lot of versatility by using Direct3DX'S routines for model loading and rendering, I suggest if you're serious about it to do your own.

I guess I didn't really explain the situation very well. What I'm wanting to do is load 2+ models in from file sources and render them as a single body character skin mesh. I want to seperate the torso, the head, arms, hands, legs, etc.

The mesh parts are already seperated in the modeling program, but will contain extra polys on the ends of each cutt-off section to prevent normals from edging off. These extra polys will be assigned a special material ID (no texture) so I can directly access the faces and vertices that belong to it in-game. Since this material subset serves no purpose other than to preserve normals, it's wasting video memory. Once the mesh is exported, the normals are safe and the extra polys are no longer needed. I'm just not sure how to get rid of them. Or the steps I should take to be safe about it. For example, do I need to reorder skin weights and reassign blending indices? Or are blending indices specific to each material subset? Is the subset so modulated from the rest of the mesh that I could just toss it? I can't seem to find any information about it.

D3DX doesn't restrict access, it just makes some tasks easier. I'm totally free to get my hands dirty.

Thanks again

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!