How to make a MapEditor?

Started by
15 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years ago
Hi I think to working on a little 2D map editor! But I don't know how to begin? I only use vc++. How long times do I take to learn this? What knowledge must I Know? This MapEditor have 4 level. 1 level is map; 2 level is building; 3 level is object; 4 level is Data. Thanks!!!!
Advertisement
It wouldn't take that long, but it all depends on how complex you want to make the editor..

try googling for mapeditors, or use the search function of these forums, you'll find your answers there..
www.gametutorials.com has 6 nice tutorials on building a 2d map editor. Check it out.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
You might be better off attempting to build your own. If you actually plan it before building, you may be able to recognise many patterns that can be reused in the actual game engine. This leads to the possibility, and I emphasize possibility, that you may be able to edit the game whilst it is playing, which can be very useful.
No bombs, No guns, just an army of game creators...
Quote:Original post by oconnellseanm
www.gametutorials.com has 6 nice tutorials on building a 2d map editor. Check it out.

Yes, but i don't think he wants to pay ~$2.50 per tutorial (~$9 in all), as those tutorials are not among GT's few free tutorials.
Hey that CD they sell there that helps you with C++ and Gaming Programming and stuff like that, do you think its worth buying or is it a scam or something? I would rather have a disk then get all kinds of books to start my coding process!
I made several map editors myself before. One for a classic 2D tile-based RPG (aka Final Fantasy) which is quite complex.
And then now I'm making a map editor for a 3D adventure simulation game.

But making a map editor is quite easy. I use Visual Basic to make my map editors, all you have to do is create the GUI and all the code that goes to it, and then another piece of code that renders your game into another window.

If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me or write me on this.
Fokus on making the engine for your game.
But think about when you design it that you will use it for both your editor and the game/games.
If you create a good engine, the editor will be quite easy.

You should always load you engine into your editor, and if you'r in VC++, go for mfc.

/martin
Quote:Original post by Spartan 151
Hey that CD they sell there that helps you with C++ and Gaming Programming and stuff like that, do you think its worth buying or is it a scam or something? I would rather have a disk then get all kinds of books to start my coding process!

Actually I thought they were quiet good. They used to be all free, I have a few of them on my harddrive as we speak, but when I looked at the site and saw they now charge money... oh well...

I would recommend it, but I'm not so sure about spending 50 bucks. However, that cd would probably teach you faster than a book.
Black Sky A Star Control 2/Elite like game
I don't like the style. They use comments in cpp files to explain the theory, which in my eyes lacks reading pleasure and of course clear formatting. YOu'd be better off buying a book or just picking another tutorial site. IMHO.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement