annoying 'bands' on textures

Started by
8 comments, last by Mr Grinch 19 years, 1 month ago
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/3drocknroll/bands.bmp the above pic shows annoying blue bands insted of a smooth blue sky. Its worse when on full screen mode. How do I fix it ? cheers Ade
Advertisement
Did you save your texture as JPG?
Are you using texturing compression?
Did you save your texture in a low colour depth? (8 or 16 bit)
also, is your framebuffer 32bit?
What texture format?
Hi,
The tex is 24bit bitmap.
ie 8 bits for r, g and b.

In the pixel format descriptor in setting up the window I use the below:
ie color depth = 16 bit. I changed it to 24 bit but it made no difference.

===============
PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR pfd =

sizeof(PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR), // size
1, // version
PFD_SUPPORT_OPENGL |
PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW |
PFD_DOUBLEBUFFER, // support float-buffering
PFD_TYPE_RGBA, // color type
16, // prefered color depth
0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, // color bits (ignored)
0, // no alpha buffer
0, // alpha bits (ignored)
0, // no accumulation er
0, 0, 0, 0, // accum bits (ignored)
24, // depth buffer
0, // no stencil buffer
0, // no auxiliary buffers
PFD_MAIN_PLANE, // main layer
0, // reserved
0, 0, 0, // no layer,
};

How are you loading it?

Also, that banding doesn't look much different from normal banding seen when lighting a simple texture. You only have so many shades of blue to go around...

Here is an example.

You can't really get around that, you can just try and make it less noticeable by making the sky texture a bit more complex... Like the texture on the walls in that pic, where there is no noticeable banding...

:D Just a guess... you probably aren't doing any lighting on that sky from the looks of your screenshot.
16, // prefered color depth

Just as a hint, 16 is low, and 24 is becomeing unsupported in fullscreen mode, so it falls back to software, try 32bit, unless you have a 6 year old gfx card.
no I'm not doing any lighting, it's my skybox so I think I turned the light off when doing it so the join isn't seen.

cheers
Make sure you are specifying GL_RGB8 internal format for the texture instead of GL_RGB.
I was having this exact problem and just happened upon your thread. It turns out I only getting banding issues with my skydome when I enabled texture compression (like Vampyre_Dark suggested). I no longer tell opengl to compress it (ie don't use GL_COMPRESSED_RGB), and the problem is fixed! Anyway, thanks for the timely post, and I hope this helps you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement