• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Laa[...]aarge Terrain

This topic is 4725 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm currently working at a project which requires a really large outdoor scenery. I have to render a landscape which is approximately 10 x 10 km WITHOUT loading pauses... Thus I have to apply streaming techniques. I've already worked with terrain optimization such as CLOD, so I'm wuite familiar with that. However, a "world of warcraft"-scene is a little more difficult ;-) Do you have some general tricks or links concerning optimization of really large terrains? thx, Chris

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Christoph
Do you have some general tricks or links concerning optimization of really large terrains?

Yup! [smile]

I tend to get myself in on these sorts of threads, so I had a quick trawl through my recent posts. To save me some time, you might want to have a look at the following threads from these forums:

Rendering Large 3D Levels
Dynamic index buffer + Octree
GeoMipMapping with DirectX
Hi-res terrain textures?
Map loading in game-time
Which terrain lod method is best?

I only went back through my last 500 or so replies, so the above is by no means an exhaustive list. As a general website, VTerrain.org might be of use to you.

Hope thats of some use to you - I'm off to grab a beer and kick back for a couple of hours [smile]
Jack

If you're working on recent hardware, try the paper called "Geometry Clipmap" on this website : http://research.microsoft.com/~hoppe/

The guy navigate through the heightmap of the USA at 60 FPS !!!!!
I'm currently implementing it for my job, and it indeed looks really promising !

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement