• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Christoph

Laa[...]aarge Terrain

This topic is 4962 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm currently working at a project which requires a really large outdoor scenery. I have to render a landscape which is approximately 10 x 10 km WITHOUT loading pauses... Thus I have to apply streaming techniques. I've already worked with terrain optimization such as CLOD, so I'm wuite familiar with that. However, a "world of warcraft"-scene is a little more difficult ;-) Do you have some general tricks or links concerning optimization of really large terrains? thx, Chris

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Christoph
Do you have some general tricks or links concerning optimization of really large terrains?

Yup! [smile]

I tend to get myself in on these sorts of threads, so I had a quick trawl through my recent posts. To save me some time, you might want to have a look at the following threads from these forums:

Rendering Large 3D Levels
Dynamic index buffer + Octree
GeoMipMapping with DirectX
Hi-res terrain textures?
Map loading in game-time
Which terrain lod method is best?

I only went back through my last 500 or so replies, so the above is by no means an exhaustive list. As a general website, VTerrain.org might be of use to you.

Hope thats of some use to you - I'm off to grab a beer and kick back for a couple of hours [smile]
Jack

If you're working on recent hardware, try the paper called "Geometry Clipmap" on this website : http://research.microsoft.com/~hoppe/

The guy navigate through the heightmap of the USA at 60 FPS !!!!!
I'm currently implementing it for my job, and it indeed looks really promising !

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!