• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jungle Boy

Octrees and polys relationship

This topic is 4816 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi guys ;) here again with tons of doubts I'm learning about spatial partitioning, already read bsp trees, quadtrees and octrees and the last method seems to be much more powerfull than others for "the general case", so it's my choice. With that you can divide your scene in 3D scheme, grouping your polys in cubes that have a limit of polys so you can use them (cubes) to cull non-in-frustum polys, to speed up collision detection and so on. OK, grouping polys... wonderful... but, how? i mean, i need to save in the leaf nodes of my octree the polys? if yes, so i need to save the polys plus the corresponding models and objects (in our engine, model[]->object[]->polys). Is it right? or is there another more elegant approach? i'm a little confuse about that... thx in advance

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I would be also interested in reading about, or seeing a link to a good tutorial, which would answer this question: how to effectively store polygon data in quad/octree without duplicating too much information? Or, is this really possible?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!