what is managed c++?

Started by
9 comments, last by ChiefArmstrong 19 years, 1 month ago
can someone tell me, whats exactly the difference between c++ and managed c++? what does a "managed language" means? i search on the net, but it didnt stay clear to me.......... thanks in advance......
Advertisement
managed c++ uses the .net framework, basically its a collection of namespaces which are a collection of classes, that are ment to make things easier for you. but to run the program you need the .net framework installed.
www.stickskate.com -> check it out, some gnarly stick skating movies
So apart from being able to use .NET namespaces and classes, it's the same?
A "managed" language means that objects are automatically deleted for you when you don't need them (has a garbage collector built in). All the classes in the .NET framework don't need to have delete() called on them even if they were allocated with new().
Managed C++, meet BlackWind. BlackWind, meet Managed C++
Quote:Original post by jikbar
A "managed" language means that objects are automatically deleted for you when you don't need them (has a garbage collector built in). All the classes in the .NET framework don't need to have delete() called on them even if they were allocated with new().
The first part isn't necessarily true with managed C++. Only managed classes (classes prefixed with __gc or ref in C++/CLI) are garbage-collected. Regular objects still need to be deleted as far as I know.

The way I think about it is that managed C++ is an extension of C++, so most C++ should compile as managed C++ fine, and if they choose not to use .NET, they'd be functionally equivalent to non-managed C++.

Oh and I should probably explain C++/CLI. Basically managed C++'s syntax was terrible enough that Microsoft decided to redo it for .NET 2.0, which has resulted in C++/CLI. Here's a short introduction to C++/CLI. The syntax is a lot cleaner, so if you'll be doing a lot of C++ and .NET work you might want to wait for .NET 2.0.

thanks a lot for your answer, and the good links, now it is clearer....

P.S. when does .net 2.0 comes out?
I think Visual Studio 2005 and .NET 2.0 are both set to be released this summer. The second VS.NET 2005 beta is coming in April last I heard. I've ported code from MC++ to C++/CLI before and it isn't too bad, just very tedious, so don't let the release date stop you if you have something that'd work well now with MC++.

Quote:Original post by mutex
I think Visual Studio 2005 and .NET 2.0 are both set to be released this summer. The second VS.NET 2005 beta is coming in April last I heard. I've ported code from MC++ to C++/CLI before and it isn't too bad, just very tedious, so don't let the release date stop you if you have something that'd work well now with MC++.

So is it possible that code written in VS 2003 won't be compatible with code written in VS 2005?
Quote:Original post by ChiefArmstrong
So is it possible that code written in VS 2003 won't be compatible with code written in VS 2005?
I'm not sure about the other languages. There are changes definitely, but for the most part I believe they'll be compatible. Most of the changes I see are in the class libraries, and language changes are additions as far as I can tell. The MC++ syntax will be available via a compiler switch.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement