• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

question about compilers

This topic is 4729 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, I am just starting with the programing scene and I am wondering what is a good cheap or free C++ ide to use? I have been using quincy 2005 but It is just not robust enough. any suggestions? Thanks

Advertisement
I'm assuming you're ms windows based, in which case, i'd have to carry the motion of dev-C++.

Like game mercenary, i also on my windows box have have VS 2003 along side Dev-C++ and find myself reverting back to it. (Uni gave me a copy of VS - which was nice of them)

Dev-C++ seems to be so much less cluttered with features, nice and easy to get an up and running Hello World application, without thinking where did that compile button go?

So I'm gonna follow the trend and also say Dev-C++. However this is not the be all and end all of desicions, you'll find different people like different IDE's (and some like text editors - one day I might understand that, if someone reading this prefers a text editor please explain it to me!), so personally i'd have a look round for something that suits you ( google :) ), and if you find a good one... report back !

Happy IDE hunting,
Add

I guess I'm going against the tide. I'll recommend MS Visual C++ .NET Express Edition basically because the Microsoft C++ compiler is a better compiler than GCC (Especially GCC for Windows). I'm also a big fan of intellisense.

Quote:
Original post by jperalta
I guess I'm going against the tide. I'll recommend MS Visual C++ .NET Express Edition basically because the Microsoft C++ compiler is a better compiler than GCC (Especially GCC for Windows). I'm also a big fan of intellisense.

I'll second that. Microsoft's compiler is good especially for "hybrid programmers," which is a personal term that I use to describe those that mix VB programming with C/C++ programming.

is it affordable? visual studio is definetly not.

I am quite happy with dev-C++ it is 100 times better than quincy 2005!

I can understand the text editor people. I am well versed in the use of vi. That is a very powerfull editor! If i could cobine the editing power of vi with the power of a good IDE i would be quite dangerous!

Yes The Express beta versions are free. And they are supposed to be fairly cheap when they are released too, since they are targetted for enthusiests. I have been suing the Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta. It is basically a slightly stripped down version of the full blown Vsiual C++ 2005. It still has the otimizing compiler (which is technically freely avaiable for download), and it has the in-ide debugger, and intellesence; which are 3 of the most important features for me.

I'll have to go for Visual Studio .NET as well, or the new beta versions that currently are free. I have used dev-c++ as well some times, but have experienced slowdowns (Everything creeps to a halt over time). And no, it does not have to do with viruses etc. I have run it on freshly installed systems, and experienced the same thing.

Sure, dev-c++ is a good compiler, and it is free. But i would rather pay for Visual Studio since i consider it to be a better compiler.

Note. This is my opinion. Not me flaming dev-c++.

//Allmight

Dev-Cpp is a decent IDE, though I run into minor difficulties when compiling with certain libraries.

I also get little crashes here and there, forcing me to save my sources after every edit I make. These crashes afaik are related to the code completion functionality.

Other than that, I have no problems with Dev-Cpp.

I also have vc7.1, and I enjoy this IDE more than Dev-Cpp for the following reasons:
Folding functions.
Code Completion (without random crashes).

Hope this helps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement