question about compilers

Started by
10 comments, last by KindFred 19 years, 1 month ago
Hey all, I am just starting with the programing scene and I am wondering what is a good cheap or free C++ ide to use? I have been using quincy 2005 but It is just not robust enough. any suggestions? Thanks
These tears..leave scars...as they run down my face.
Advertisement
(Assuming Windows) The canonical answer: Dev-C++.
I agree, I have ms visual studio and I still use dev-c++
I'm assuming you're ms windows based, in which case, i'd have to carry the motion of dev-C++.

Like game mercenary, i also on my windows box have have VS 2003 along side Dev-C++ and find myself reverting back to it. (Uni gave me a copy of VS - which was nice of them)

Dev-C++ seems to be so much less cluttered with features, nice and easy to get an up and running Hello World application, without thinking where did that compile button go?

So I'm gonna follow the trend and also say Dev-C++. However this is not the be all and end all of desicions, you'll find different people like different IDE's (and some like text editors - one day I might understand that, if someone reading this prefers a text editor please explain it to me!), so personally i'd have a look round for something that suits you ( google :) ), and if you find a good one... report back !

Happy IDE hunting,
Add
"The FFT - an algorithm the whole family can use" ... and for my next joke...
I guess I'm going against the tide. I'll recommend MS Visual C++ .NET Express Edition basically because the Microsoft C++ compiler is a better compiler than GCC (Especially GCC for Windows). I'm also a big fan of intellisense.
Quote:Original post by jperalta
I guess I'm going against the tide. I'll recommend MS Visual C++ .NET Express Edition basically because the Microsoft C++ compiler is a better compiler than GCC (Especially GCC for Windows). I'm also a big fan of intellisense.

I'll second that. Microsoft's compiler is good especially for "hybrid programmers," which is a personal term that I use to describe those that mix VB programming with C/C++ programming.
but it is not free
is it affordable? visual studio is definetly not.

I am quite happy with dev-C++ it is 100 times better than quincy 2005!

I can understand the text editor people. I am well versed in the use of vi. That is a very powerfull editor! If i could cobine the editing power of vi with the power of a good IDE i would be quite dangerous!
These tears..leave scars...as they run down my face.
Quote:Original post by game mercenary
but it is not free
The beta express editions are free, and they'll supposedly be cheap when finally released. Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 is the freely-available optimizing compiler only (I guess it's not visual anymore :)

Yes The Express beta versions are free. And they are supposed to be fairly cheap when they are released too, since they are targetted for enthusiests. I have been suing the Visual C++ 2005 Express Beta. It is basically a slightly stripped down version of the full blown Vsiual C++ 2005. It still has the otimizing compiler (which is technically freely avaiable for download), and it has the in-ide debugger, and intellesence; which are 3 of the most important features for me.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement