Triangles over quads

Started by
3 comments, last by warerare 19 years, 1 month ago
in creating my graphics environment(only a small room) for my university project i have used a quad strip to create the walls of the room, rather than triangles as with little experience in CG i thought it would be ok at the time. as my project involves the use of shaowing algorithms i was suprised to just read that an advantage triangles have over quads is something about the way they are lit, could someone explain to me why this is, and whether i will have to change my environment before i start implementing the shadowing algorithms(shadow mapping and shadow volumes) Thanks
Advertisement
Considering that quad strips are converted to tri strips internally, I can't think of how either one would have an advantage.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
hmmm... quads have 4 points, triangles have 3

3 points lay always in the same plane wheareas 4 poins don't. So if you were to calculate the normal of a plane formed by 3 points, you wouldn't have a problem. If the 4 points of your quad wouldn't lay in the same plane however, then you'd have trouble calculating the normal.

it's late, it's badly explained, but I tink it's about right

edit: if what JohnBolton said is true (and it more than likely is) then OpenGL makes the conversion for you and you won't have anything to worry about.
"It's better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done."
As far as I know, the only advantage to tris over quads is that they draw faster. But JohnBolton hit it dead on, they turn out to be the same thing in the end.

Edit: Just listen to Shai. He knows what he is talking about.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
thanks peeps,

thats a great load off my mind

good old nehe forums, ever the aide :-p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement