• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DIP and parameters

This topic is 4727 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello i'm little confussed, because i heard that nvidia drivers don't care about the minindex and the base in a DIP call, but what if my current batch is placed in dynamic buffers and are depended on the base and the min index parameters, what then? wouldn't that be a performance killer? Thanks

Advertisement
Hi,

I'm only just getting started with DIP myself but to be honest if it gives you the ability to change these settings then i shouldn't think it would kill performance too much. But beware, like everything else in DX there will be optimal performace settings etc.

ace

It ignores minindex and numvertices, not basevertexindex. Minindex and numvertices indicate which range of vertices need transforming. They don't affect which data is looked at. Software uses this to transform everything first, then draw. nVidia hardware uses the basevertex, startindex, and the contents of the index buffer to transform needed vertices. If you need vertices 4,8,5, nVidia will transform only those 3, as they are read from the index buffer. Software however would need a minindex of 4, and a numvertices of 5 (4,5,6,7, and 8), and would transform all 5 vertices. ATI hardware needs minindex and numvertices to be accurate, but I'm not sure if they actually transform everything, or if ATI card could work like nVidia's, but just complain to help you debug.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement