• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How to implement a multi-texture LOD terrain

This topic is 4724 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all. I'm trying to implement a terrain system which supports multi-texture.But when I wrote the code I met a problem that how to add LOD here. Simply speaking, I have some tiles which has different textures: 1111 1001 1001 1111 when the camera moves farer and farer from them, we must simplify the tiles and they may become: 11 11 As you see, the central 0 textures could not appear any more and the terrain looks distinct.Anyone could give me a help to implement it? Thanx very much!

Advertisement
I guess this behaviour should be acceptable as is since you are not displaying those tiles anyways.

If that is not so, then perhaps what you need to do is assign different textures to a tile, depending on its LOD level. Then when the lod switches, you need to switch the texture as well.

And then in your art, you can blend these textures together and create a smallish version of them to be used in a reduced LOD.

Although I assume (after writing above), that you could perhaps do just one tecture for the full resolution tiling .. but that could get costly .. so you can continue using your excisting solution of blending several small textures at runtime and for a reduced LOD, replace all of them with a pre-blended version of them!

Liker,

Are you alpha-blending textures together? I'm assuming in your example of:
that each quad has only one visible texture. When you convert your 16 quad terrain down to 4 quads why don't you alpha-blend your textures together based on the textures of the original quads.

11 | 11
10 | 01
-------
10 | 01
11 | 11

In your example each new quad is a LOD consolidation of 4 quads. In all 4 cases that is 3 quads of texture 1 and 1 quad of texture 0. So, create an alpha-blend that follows this ratio

75% tex1 + 25% tex0 | 75% tex1 + 25% tex0
-----------------------------------------
75% tex1 + 25% tex0 | 75% tex1 + 25% tex0

At a great distance where this is happening that may work.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement