• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sofakng

How is Delphi 6 for programming [multiplayer] Games? Should I stay with programming?

This topic is 4965 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a habit of making my posts way too long, so I'll try to be as brief as possible -- skip to the fourth paragraph for my actual question :) --- Last year I graduated from Penn State with a BS in IST and have been working as a computer programmer for a local insurance company for the past nine months. Needless (?) to say, I'm not very happy with my job. I've always dreamed about being a programmer and have always loved programming, but after working for 8 or 9 months I'm not sure I want to be a programmer. Why? Well, I'm not sure really. I've always dreamed of being a game programmer (heck, I still do today) but maybe the fact that I'm programming insurance software is why I've lost interest in programming. I still love learning and programming as a hobby (I enjoy reading about Hash Tables, etc -- yes, I am a geek at heart), but I'm just not sure what I want to do... So, how does that relate to the question I'm about to ask? Well, if I decide to continue with a programming career, I'm sure it would beneficial for me to learn C++ or perhaps C#. If I decided to go that route then my upcoming question is pointless. However, if I decide to change careers (away from programming) and only write programs as a hobby then perhaps I don't need to learn any new languages. This leads me to my question: Can games be written in Delphi? (v6.0, but I only mention that because it's what we use at work) Like a lot of people here on the forums, I dream of creating a MMORPG, but I realize that I will most likely never get to do this (espicially in Delphi [yes, I know the thought is almost laughable]), but that would be my "ultimate" goal. A more short-term goal would be to create a multiplayer game of "Castle Wars" with a persistent world server. (meaning, statistics would be saved, castles could be upgraded, experience could be gained, etc). Sorry for the long post. I've tried to be short but I guess I'm posting all of this because I'm not only interested in the answer to my question about Delphi, but also in suggestions about my life and my career. Any suggestions and help would be very much appriciated.

Advertisement
well, i still don finish the university,so ihaven had a job, so i cant tell you if you should continue with programming, but i have used delphi 6 for games.....
and well...... i didnt like it, i like much more c/c++, even c# or java......

but my teacher of computer graphics uses delphi 6 for graphics programming and games....he is REAAALLY good at it, if you ask him, he would tell that delphi is the best, i have seen many examples he has done it seems as good as a C/C++ app....
so the answer is YES, you can use delphi 6 for game programming (even multiplayer), the problem is that there arent as many resources as with c/c++ and maybe the performance (if it is a huge app) wont be the same.....

Hi,

I've been programming in Delphi as well as with Java and C++. Delphi can most certainly be used for MMORPG's; in fact, I've seen an MMORPG in Delphi although I can't remember it's name. You should be able to find it online. The problem with Delphi is that there's not too much information on the internet (documentation wise). A lot of the people I know go to Newsgropus and the like.

Delphi (or Pascal) is an extremely powerful language which I've heard people underestimate. If you were to change to C++, I don't think that there would be too much of a difference. It has all the same sort of constructs such as inheritance, polymorphism, pointers...etc. The difference will be in the syntax. I'd recommend giving C++ a try for a while and see how you like it. I personally prefer C++, but that is probaly because it was my first language.

Later,

GCS584

P.S. I'll try find the MMORPG for you for inspiration :) !

[EDIT:] Here is one of a few!

Yes, it's possible to write any game in Delphi, or in any pascal oriented RAD tool like Lazarus (check that you, maybe you'll like that).
The trouble is , there is little documentation/tutorials, etcetera to find if you want to develop a 'mature' game in Delphi. so you'll have to search on the Web alot, and translate lots of C code to Pascal.

Pascal Game Development

I have been programming with Delphi since 2nd version and now I'm making games with delphi and DirectX. Works great and quality is good. I have been reading tutorials over the internet in C/C++ language and translated them to the Delphi (good exercise).

I would encourage you to use Delphi. It's bit complicated at first, but when you get into it......well try yourself ;).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!