• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Trouble with vectors

This topic is 4728 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm having a few problems using vectors. Background:- I've created a wee tiling routine. It draws a surface filled with tiles according to the integers in an ordinary array. So I have background array and level array. (The background array just contains a portion of the level array which is updated as the game scrolls). Now I need to figure out how to include objects in the level (tree's etc) The easiest way I can think of is too create new objects for everything at the start of each level. Now heres my problem. The number of objects will vary, so I need a dynamic array. I have a sprite class so I tred to do vector<sprite> *theTrees. But I can't seem to figure out how to add my sprites to it. I achieved what I wanted with static arrays by doing the following:-
	sprite *theTrees[10];
	for(int i=0; i<9; i++){
             theTrees= new sprite;
             theTrees->initSprite("data/images/items/tree.bmp", screen, 400+(i*64), 200, 64, 80);
    }

Can anyone help me figure out how to do this with a dynamic array.

Advertisement
You want

vector<sprite *> the_trees;

You're declaring a pointer to a vector of sprites, not a vector of sprite pointers.

You may want to just use a vector of sprites, since that's where they'll be living, and they have a default constructor:

//Define number of sprites. Doesn't have to be a const, but may as well be.
const size_t num_sprites = 10;

//Declare a vector of sprites.
vector<sprite> the_trees(num_sprites);

//Initialize the sprites.
int i = 0;
for(vector<sprite>::iterator current_sprite = the_trees.begin();
current_sprite != the_trees.end();
current_sprite++, i++)
{
current_sprite->initSprite("data/images/items/tree.bmp", screen, 400+(i*64), 200, 64, 80);
}

You will have to change sprites[n]-> to sprites[n]. everywhere, but at least you don't have to worry about deleting the sprites. That'll happen when the_trees goes out of scope.

[Edited by - Couvillion on March 16, 2005 1:36:35 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement