• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Forgotten all my math but want to learn 3D techniques... Will this book help?

This topic is 4725 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, it's been forever since I've done anything more than basic algebra. I need a total refresher but don't want to spend the next year entrenched in math classes. This book was recommended to me: Engineering Mathematics by K.A. Stroud and Dexter J. Booth. Has anyone here read it? Will this help me get back up to speed so I can dive into 3D programming? Here's a brief rundown of the index: 1. Arithmetic 2. Intro to Algebra 3. Expressions and Equations 4. Graphs 5. Linear Equations and simultaneous linear equations 6. Polynomial equations 7. Partial fractions 8. Trigonometry 9. Binomial series 10. Differentiation 11. Integrations 12. Functions 13. Complex Numbers 1 14. Complex Numbers 2 15. Hyperbolic Functions 16. Determinants 17. Matrices 18. Vectors 19. Differentiation 20. Differentation Applications 1 21. Differentation Applications 2 22. Partial Differentiation 1 23. Partial Differentiation 2 24. Curves and Curve Fitting 25. Integration 1 26. Integration 2 27. Polar coordinates systems 28. Multiple Integrals 29. First Order Differential Equations 30. Second Order Differential Equations 31. Intro to Laplace transforms 32. Statistics 33. Probability So will this thing cover everything I need to dive into 3D topics? If not, is there a book that will? Remember, I need a book that will cover the basics to get me up to speed. And once I'm up to speed, what specific 3D programming book should I get? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Looks like a pretty comprehensive book. One thing I notice is that only two chapters (16 and 17) are devoted to matrices. I assume it explains basic linear algebra concepts, but you may want to get yourself a book devoted entirely to linear algebra because it's very important in 3D programming.

I can recommend two:

Elementary Linear Algebra, by Anton and Rorres. Very comprehensive, but the topics can bounce around a bit. I recommend the 'Applications Version' since it has "real-world" examples of using the math presented.

Linear Algebra Done Right, by Axler. Not as comprehensive, but it does a good job of setting up linear transformations and why we use matrices to implement them.

Another book you might consider looking at is Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers by Gullberg. It's a really nice general mathematical reference.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement