• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Animus

.ico file

This topic is 4968 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello i am new on this forum's i bought the book learn game programming in 24 hours but i think i dont get it in 24 hours hehe in the book they say i need a .ico file as icon for my program but they dont say how i can make a .ico file ,they only say it has to be 16*16 so my quastion is how can i make i .ico file? (i got adobe photoshop)

Advertisement
I think MSVC lets you make them. There are also some other .ico makers floating around for Windows. I think GIMP can build them, as well (which means Photoshop probably can).

I used Easy Icon Maker to make mine. Salsa did the graphics. Also, you don't need to make an icon. You could simply use one that's already on your computer. Just search your computer for a *.ico file and use it.

Quote:
Original post by toXic1337
Why not use MSPAINT and save as 16X16 .ico
While that works, it's not a valid .ico file. It's just that most editors let you import .ico files as well. For example, if you're making a webpage, a favicon.ico file which is a renamed .bmp won't work properly.

It shouldn't really matter, but I thought I'd just point that out

Quote:
Original post by toXic1337
Why not use MSPAINT and save as 16X16 .ico

The problem with this is that sometimes it will funkify the color of the picture that you save as .ico. I've done it before, and although it dosen't look that bad, it dosen't look great either.

If your using Visual C++, isn't there a built in program to create .ico files?

Quote:
Original post by Animus
hello i am new on this forum's
i bought the book learn game programming in 24 hours
but i think i dont get it in 24 hours hehe
in the book they say i need a .ico file as icon for my program
but they dont say how i can make a .ico file ,they only say it has to be 16*16
so my quastion is how can i make i .ico file?
(i got adobe photoshop)

I would suggest staying away from the "Learning *insert topic here* in 24 hours" there are much better books because they can provide a more detailed explaination about various topic in game programming. Windows, Linux, and I believe Mac OS all have default icons for executables etc so it's not absolutely necessary that you make one. If you do want to make one here are a few freeware tools that I found on Snapfile.com.

IconArt
LiquidIcon XP

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!