• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
acid2

Cube maps with shaders

This topic is 4819 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, It seems all I ever do is have problems... so sorry that I keep asking so many questions - you guys are brilliant at your responses though, I'm learning so much! Anyway, I'm giving shaders a real go atm, and I'm eager to try lots of things. I thought it would be a good idea to try and get cube mapping in. I have sort of got it working. When the camera is at 0, 0, 0 and the mesh is in front of the camera (0, 0, 50 in this case) then it seems to render ok: However, if I move the camera back 10 units (so it is at 0, 0, -10) then I get this really bizzare result: Any ideas why this is? I'm pretty unsure with my shader but I thought I had it down correctly. People have said I should use world-invert-transposed matrix, but it gives realllly bad results!
float4x4 matWIT : WorldInverseTranspose;
float4x4 matWVP : WorldViewProjection;
float4x4 matVI : ViewInverse;
float4x4 matW : World;

texture CubeTexture;
samplerCUBE cubeSampler = sampler_state
{
	texture = <CubeTexture>;
};

struct vsData
{
	float4 pos		: POSITION;
	float3 norm 	: TEXCOORD0;
	float3 viewDir	: TEXCOORD1;
};

vsData vs_CubeMap(	float4 pos : POSITION,
					float4 norm : NORMAL	)
{
	vsData Out;

Out.pos = mul(pos, matWVP);
	Out.norm = mul(norm, matWIT);
	Out.viewDir = matVI[3].xyz - pos.xyz;

return Out;
}

float4 fs_CubeMap(	vsData In	) : COLOR0
{
	float3 normalNormalized = normalize(In.norm);
	float3 viewDirNormalized = normalize(In.viewDir);

return texCUBE(cubeSampler, reflect(viewDirNormalized, normalNormalized));
}

technique Cubemap
{
	pass p0
	{
		VertexShader = compile vs_1_1 vs_CubeMap();
		PixelShader = compile ps_2_0 fs_CubeMap();
	}
}

Edit: Oh, I thought it might help if you know the colours in the skybox there. Pink is forward, light blue is right, lime yellow is left, yellow is top, dark blue is bottom and red is backwards. [Edited by - acid2 on March 16, 2005 1:41:33 PM]

Advertisement
i am not sure what's wrong , but i could pick one lil mistake in ur code though.. i dunno whether that's the culprit of not.

When u transform a vertex normal.. u never multiply it with the modelview matrix...cuz modelview matrix has a translation component in it .. remember ? And u dont translate normal, u only rotate or orient them. Well therez a way to do that even with modelview matrix but letz not go into that... pplz usually transform normals using the InverseTranspose matrix

I tryed it with the matWorldIT matrix (World Inverse Transpose) and I got a really nasty result (check this link)

Make sure texture clamping is on for all 3 axises (U,V,W). Then transform your normal by the 3x3 rotational part of your world matrix (or the inverse transpose), as suggested. The reason your result is nasty seems to be the clamping mode (I bet you have it on WRAP which is the default).

You can cause the normal to 'ignore' the translation component of the world matrix if you set it's w component to zero, i.e.
Out.norm = normalize(mul(float4(norm.xyz, 0.0), matW).xyz);

I just set the addressu and v modes to clamp and it doesn't make any difference. So, that doesn't seem to be the problem :( Setting what Superpig suggested and using the IT matrix doesn't seem to make a difference. Here is an updated screenshot with what I'm currently getting:

Linky

It's like a perspective problem - reaaallly weird :\ Here's how I'm setting my matrices, if its any help:

Microsoft.DirectX.Matrix WorldIT = meshCube.SceneGraphNode.World;
WorldIT.Transpose(Microsoft.DirectX.Matrix.Invert(meshCube.SceneGraphNode.World));
cube.SetGlobal("matWIT", WorldIT);
cube.SetGlobal("matWVP", meshCube.SceneGraphNode.World * camMain.View * camMain.Projection);
cube.SetGlobal("matW", meshCube.SceneGraphNode.World);
Microsoft.DirectX.Matrix ViewI = camMain.View; ViewI.Invert();
cube.SetGlobal("matVI", ViewI);

OK, I just realized that you appear to be doing the reflection in your pixel shader. In that case you do NOT want to normalize you normal and view direction the vertex shader, but you DO want to normalize those 2 vectors in your pixel shader before you do the reflection calculation. It appears that you never normalize your view direction which would cause your reflection vector direction to be skewed.

Normalizing the vectors had no effect.. I wonder what could be wrong - seemed to have tried nearly everything now. Thank you all for your patience in this, I'm determined to get it right >:( Oh, and I updated the sourcecode at the top with my current code.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!