[java] Transparency in Java

Started by
8 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years ago
Hey up everyone, I'm a C++ programmer who's started using Java quite a bit. I'd like to know how, in java, you'd perform a transparentBlt operation in java (i.e. make part of the image transparent and overlay it onto another image. At the moment I use ImageIcons and JLabels to display the images. If these are rubbish ways of doing it, please tell me the best way. Thank you for your time
Advertisement
I'm pretty sure you can do it just fine the way you are. Just use images with alpha. .GIFs can do this, so can .PNG.
Ok, can you suggest a good, free image editor that supports alpha mapping then? I tried "brush stroke", but if the transparency is been stored, it is not being displayed
The Gimp
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
Quote:Original post by CaptainJester
The Gimp
no no no, the guy asked for a GOOD, free image editor.

pixia is another option, but again, it only passes on that *free* mark.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

You can't even run Pixia on a mac/linux/unix/solaris/anything-but-windows-box!

I can get everything that I need to get done in GIMP faster then I can in Photoshop... Now its true that it isn't as intuitive but it is not that hard to learn.

Anyway, my short little rant [smile]
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Quote:Original post by H_o_p_s
You can't even run Pixia on a mac/linux/unix/solaris/anything-but-windows-box!

I can get everything that I need to get done in GIMP faster then I can in Photoshop... Now its true that it isn't as intuitive but it is not that hard to learn.

Anyway, my short little rant [smile]

to bad:
A) The quality of the filters and effects are terrible, I can almost always pick out a Gimp picture
B) it doesn't support tablets
C) worst of all, it is actually impossible to USE a tablet, unless you know an arcane config setting
D) the interface is the spawn of satan. This is a design program. Brilliant.
E) it's buggy as hell, it crashes on me all the time (and not just in windows)

the Gimp has to be the worst piece of image editting software I've seen since Microsoft PhotoEd.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
to bad:
A) The quality of the filters and effects are terrible, I can almost always pick out a Gimp picture
B) it doesn't support tablets
C) worst of all, it is actually impossible to USE a tablet, unless you know an arcane config setting
D) the interface is the spawn of satan. This is a design program. Brilliant.
E) it's buggy as hell, it crashes on me all the time (and not just in windows)

the Gimp has to be the worst piece of image editting software I've seen since Microsoft PhotoEd.

I understand now why you assume that Pixia is a better program. Tablet support is a problem with The GIMP. However I have to disagree with you on several of your assertions.

I'll work in reverse.
E) I've been using GIMP on my mac for more then a few years. I have yet to have GIMP crash on me. Now, I also have to say that Photoshop hasn't crashed on me either, so maybe it is just a platform issue.

D) Since the creation of Docks became available the whole crappy UI idea is out the window.

note: just slopply rendered bg etc... just for showing me workspace.
-=EDIT=- hmmm... seemed to have two layer panes docked.... usually the right one is the color channels -=/EDIT=-

C & B: Valid claims for people who use tablets.

A) I have to disagree with this one. If you'd like I'll load up any images that you send me and perform the same filter in both Photoshop and GIMP and have you guess which one is the GIMP.

Overall I have to state again that GIMP works for me better then Photoshop. It might not for someone who uses tablets, but the majority of people don't.

-=EDIT=-
Just went through and looked at the gdnet comic, I like your drawings! Do you have a portfolio or somethingt that I could look at?

[Edited by - H_o_p_s on March 19, 2005 12:28:08 AM]
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Quote:Original post by H_o_p_s
E) I've been using GIMP on my mac for more then a few years. I have yet to have GIMP crash on me. Now, I also have to say that Photoshop hasn't crashed on me either, so maybe it is just a platform issue.
Lucky punk. :)
Quote:
D) Since the creation of Docks became available the whole crappy UI idea is out the window.

Ah, you have just demonstrated what I mean. Check out your task bar, with it's 57 different items for just one program. As for the organization of the windows on the screen, I find the gimp boxes much larger than the photoshop boxes, but overall photoshop has the same "I'm a tool box and I'm floating infront of your picture" problem.
Quote:
Just went through and looked at the gdnet comic, I like your drawings! Do you have a portfolio or somethingt that I could look at?

yeah, I have two places, on deviant art (which I'm trying to get away from), and on my own site.

Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
the interface is the spawn of satan. This is a design program. Brilliant.

It does take some getting used to...but it's free after all.

PhotoEd rocks!!! PhotoDraw was more powerful but it didn't rock like PhotoEd. Now they give you this piece of crap called Picture Manager which just isn't any good for anything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement