Hardware Help

Started by
7 comments, last by RiBi 19 years, 1 month ago
I am completely new to this forum and I am not sure if this is appropriate or not, but I need some hardware help. I am planning to build a pc and I am not familiar with all the hardware that's out there. I would like to use it both for normal Home use and for creating 3d models, scenes and movies (both stand alone and for gaming). I currently have some software that I am familiar with, but my current pc is not meant for this software and render times are horrible. examples of my software are: bryce 5 gmax blender anim8tor truespace 3.1 and so on.... Most of it is freeware, but they do a good job. I do not have anything like maya or 3ds max because that is way too pricy for me. I am also evaluating Rhino 3d, but I don't like it so far. I was looking at prices for workstations and those things can run into $15,000+. I was researching many websites and I can build a Duel Process PC for about $3000 and would feature: Dual Xeon 7520 chipset @ 3.60 Ghz 600Watt power 1 gig DDR Ram (I think pc3200) Quadro Fx 2000 graphics card approx 80 gig 10K rpm HD audigy 2 ZS aound DVD burner Dual layer However I can build a PC with these features for about $850: AMD 3800+ or P4 3.4 Ghz 775 chip 500 Watt power 1 gig DDR pc3200 or 1 gig ddr2 120 gig 7200 RPM HD audigy 2 zs sound Dual layer DVD burner Then I would have to add a video card which ranges from $80 to about $400 Would either of these 2 computers work for what I want to do? If not can anyone make a recommendation as to what I should build or if there is anything at a reasonable price ($3000 or under) that I can buy? Also, what would be the benefits & detriments (correct word?) of each one of the ones that I can build if they would work out fine for what I need. Also, any recommendations on imporving my PCs are welcome as I can upgrade Ram and HD easily. Also a video card recommendation for the 2nd one would be appreciated. I was thinking of one of those Radeons that have a TV tuner, (called something like all in wonder 9800 pro) (aprrox $300). I would like to thank everyone in advance for taking the time to read this and providing input and I would also like to apologize for the length.
Sie mangeln Steuerung, conviciton und dicipline. ...Sie ist kein Gegenstück für den Grafen von Lothanria!!
Advertisement
You don't need to buy a server computer (Xeon etc.) just because you want do 3D modeling.
AMD 3800+ or P4 3.4 Ghz 775 chip
500 Watt power
1 gig DDR pc3200 or 1 gig ddr2
120 gig 7200 RPM HD
audigy 2 zs sound
Dual layer DVD burner
CPU: Athlon 64 performs FAR better than any Pentium 4. However, if you want use your computer for 3D modeling, you can use Pentium 4's HT. It is only your choice.
RAM: 1GB is good, but for 3D modeling i would go with 2 GB or even more. You can use DDR2 only in combination with Pentium 4.
HDD: Good.
SC: You don't need such sound card for modeling or playing games ;-)

"Would either of these 2 computers work for what I want to do?"
Both computers will work very good

"Also a video card recommendation for the 2nd one would be appreciated."
For 2D, I think Matrox Perhelia would be the best choice, but don't forget for monitor ;-)

"I would also like to apologize for the length"
No problem ;-)
In terms of price, the single processor pc is a much better deal. The one im working on can do all of the 3D modelling/gaming I want, and I have a pentium 4 3.0 ghz, 1 gig ram, and a 128mb radeon 9800 vid card. For what your doing, I would stress the most powerful parts of your system on your processor and your video card.

AMD 3800+ or P4 3.4 Ghz 775 chip <<--that looks like plenty of power
500 Watt power
1 gig DDR pc3200 or 1 gig ddr2 <<--again plenty, just ddr2 is faster
120 gig 7200 RPM HD
audigy 2 zs sound
Dual layer DVD burner

I dont see a graphics card anywhere, I would suggest at least a radeon 9800/geforce 5200. Anything above that should be sufficient, of course if you want the best its probably with the x800's or the 6800's. But that pc looks like you could build for under 2K

ps: dont forget a monitor
Quote:Original post by bknouse1344
1 gig DDR pc3200 or 1 gig ddr2 <<--again plenty, just ddr2 is faster

DDR2 is faster but because of bigger latency, it performs worse than DDR on the same frequecny.
Quote:Original post by RiBi
You don't need to buy a server computer (Xeon etc.) just because you want do 3D modeling.
500 Watt power
120 gig 7200 RPM HD
audigy 2 zs sound
Dual layer DVD burner
CPU: Athlon 64 performs FAR better than any Pentium 4. However, if you want use your computer for 3D modeling, you can use Pentium 4's HT. It is only your choice.
RAM: 1GB is good, but for 3D modeling i would go with 2 GB or even more. You can use DDR2 only in combination with Pentium 4.

For 2D, I think Matrox Perhelia would be the best choice, but don't forget for monitor ;-)

No problem ;-)

well he said "rendering" was too long so it's not for modeling but for the render times wich are often multithread programs.. wich works twice as fast on 2 processor & since A64 & p4 don't support mutiprocessor he can't get as good of a comp till multicores come out (& even then they might not be clocked/perform as well as a dual processor system of the same time)

now on the other hand 850 vs 3000... it's up to you to decide if you care that much about having your comp work twice as long as it renders while you sleep but that's quite a huge diference even if you managed to get close to 2X the perf
Quote:Original post by ranakor
Quote:Original post by RiBi
500 Watt power
120 gig 7200 RPM HD
audigy 2 zs sound
Dual layer DVD burner

No problem ;-)

well he said "rendering" was too long so it's not for modeling but for the render times wich are often multithread programs.. wich works twice as fast on 2 processor & since A64 & p4 don't support mutiprocessor he can't get as good of a comp till multicores come out (& even then they might not be clocked/perform as well as a dual processor system of the same time)

now on the other hand 850 vs 3000... it's up to you to decide if you care that much about having your comp work twice as long as it renders while you sleep but that's quite a huge diference even if you managed to get close to 2X the perf

P4 doesn't support SMP, but it has got Hyper-Thrading. If HT is activated, your processor works like 2 logical CPU. Performace boost in rendering (in programs supporting multiprocessoring) is around 40%.
Thanks for all the help!!!! You are all great. I will research a bit more to see what the cost of a 2 CPU AMD will be, but now I have some facts to make my decision easier on what to build.
Sie mangeln Steuerung, conviciton und dicipline. ...Sie ist kein Gegenstück für den Grafen von Lothanria!!
Quote:Original post by Lord_Heinrich
Thanks for all the help!!!! You are all great. I will research a bit more to see what the cost of a 2 CPU AMD will be, but now I have some facts to make my decision easier on what to build.

You probably mean Opteron processors. If you want to buy two Opeterons, search prices of 2xx Opteron model. For Opterons, you have to buy ECC DDR RAMs.
CPU: 2x Opteron 2xx, 246 or 248, it depends on how much performance you need.
RAM: 2x or 4x 1 GB DDR RAM. The RAM has to have ECC support!!
Mainboard: Something with NVIDIA nForce Professional chipset.
I hate when I post something, but I forget to login. That anonymous poster is me ;-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement