skybox and fog looks awful

Started by
3 comments, last by NoahAdler 19 years, 1 month ago
As the title says - it looks dreadful - so how do I easily do fog (using the opengl fog function) with a suitable sky box ? cheers
Advertisement
I think the usual approach is to turn fog off when rendering your skybox, then turn it on for everything else.
It also helps if the portion of your skybox that meets the fog is of a similar color so the horizon seems to dissapear into the fog.
Using OpenGl fog for the skybox doesn't make sense, because the distance between you and the horizon is the same as to the top of the sky... as you will probably want only the horizon fogged, it would be a good idea to blend a gradient texture over it (only the horizon)

I can't add much more since that is one of my TODOs, I haven't actualy done it yet :)
error C2065: 'signature' : undeclared identifier
Turn off fogging when you render your sky box. Since the visuals on the box are intended to represent a great distance, any fogging effect could be assumed to be at an unchanging saturated level. Therefore, it could easily be baked into the texture of the sky box as a preprocess.

-bodisiw
-bodisiw

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement