• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zealotgi

Game Development Process Help

This topic is 4901 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, Me and two other guys are creating a game: I'm doing the programming and audio, the other two are doing whatever has to do with graphics (3d, Textures, ect) but there is only one problem: We don't really have a firm ground to stand on. By that I mean we know were we're going (to complete the game, of course), but we don't know what aspect each of us individual should start with through out the process. What I need to know is, what each of us should start with and what we should do as we progress (e.g. Programming - Start with making game engine and do...) because nobody gets anywhere without having a sufficient plan.

Advertisement
I don't really know much about this, but when I come across that similar problem in a group, I find the best way to deal with it is to brainstorm. I'm a visual learner I have to be hands on and write everything down to be more effecient at it. So I think it would be helpfull if you and your team set a date to just get together and think of everything a game needs to be developed, from begining to end. Then brainstorm on what type of game are you trying to make, what audience you are aiming for, and what specifics do you want in it (for instance, do you want it to be more of a visual with nice graphics, or more of gameplay, ect.) Once you feel comfortable with what you all have decided on, everyone can start working on it together. Programmer can start programming, artist can start sketching, and make sure that each of you keep incontact with each other with any new ideas or problems. All I can really say for sure is that, not everything will go as planned there will be obsticals, but the best way to deal with it as a team is to keep an open mind to everyones suggestions and try to deal with it professionaly. Like I said I don't really have any experience in this, just of what I read, so feel free to bash this for ignorance, I just hope it helps in some way, and I wish you all good luck!

First get everybody together at the same time and decide what kind of game you are making. When you have a general idea, start The Ultimate List of Things We Would Like To Have In The Game. Then catagorize those things into easy/hard to implement and also big/small return on your time investment. Pick out the big return / easy to implement ideas and get those going first. Put the hard / little return items on the back burner.

Next, map out some milestones:

Version 0.1 - "we want the following basic features in order to get something that kinda sorta resembles a game":
- Thing 1
- Thing 2
- Thing 3

Version 0.2 - "This adds some cool features":
- Thing 1
- Thing 2
- Thing 3

... etc ...

For each milestone, divy out jobs to everyone so that THEY KNOW WHAT THEY NEED TO WORK ON. If nobody knows, nothing gets done. Once you partition things out like above, it's rather easy to get work done.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!