• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

tile maps

This topic is 4814 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, In my advanced computer programming class we are working on a 2d tile based rpg type game. While originally considered c++, java and C# as choices to program it in, we removed c# because not all of us have enough experience in it. Right now we plan on using java altho we are now considering moving to c++ because of java's slow processing with big projects. If we move to c++ I would prefer to use directx to display the tilemap but what do you guys think? What is the best way in c++ to display a tilebased map? Also, does anyone have any links for tutorials or articles on c++ tile maps? thanks, ramen

Advertisement
C++/DirectX would be just fine, but that being said, Java could probably also handle a small project like this alright if you're more comfortable with it. You can find some very nice articles on Isometric/Tilebased games here, I'd suggest looking through for one (or more) that suits your exact needs, as they are all very good articles. Many contain sourcecode or psuedocode examples.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!