Compile libraries or whatever

Started by
10 comments, last by Drew_Benton 19 years, 1 month ago
I want to use Corona for image loading, but I'm using dev-cpp on Windows. What should I do to compile the source?
my siteGenius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration
Advertisement
Use a compiler?

Seriously, what is the problem?

Link with corona.
ok... well what are the binaries for that you can download? I don't use that compiler, but why would you need them?
Doesn't Dev-Cpp come with a tool to convert MSVC .libs to a format it can understand? In that case, just download the "VC6 Binary Release", and convert corona.lib.
Alternatively, it shouldn't be too hard to build the UNIX source. Just create a new project (Static library or DLL) and add all the files to it.
It doesn't seem to come with anything to do that, so if someone finds something like that, please let me know! I downloaded the UNIX source, but it gave me this compiler error (I am using windows XP and dev-cpp, and tried to add all the source files to a static library project. If this is wrong, please let me know.):

[Build Error] No rule to make target `"../Documents', needed by `corona.a'. Stop.
Now I don't believe in doing other peoples work for them, but since there was no Dev-CPP version avaliable, I decided to try for myself. As was said, "how hard could it be". Well compiling it was not an 'easy' task because there are 4 libraries included that you have to build yourself first.

Not only that, you must build them using certain defines as well as project settings. To make a long story short, it took me 2 hrs to figure it out, but I did figure that little punk library out! Oh indeed I did [evil] Anyways, I have made the project avaliable.

Anyone intrested in this should be able to download this and be able to build it themselves if they want to make modifications, all the projects are setup correctly. I really don't sew how the average dev cpp programmer could build this... There was no straight forward help with it!

I made the demo project as well. Here is a screenshot of it in action. Yea purty graphics [wink]. For the demo, I made the .bat file that runs it since it uses arg line commands. Anyways if anyone has questions/comments on this feel free to ask. It looks like an intresting library, I guess I will have a look at it now [lol].

Download Entire Project Here | Screenshot | How To Build Guide

- Drew

P.S. Buy Visual Studio [grin]

[Edited by - Drew_Benton on March 16, 2005 8:15:15 PM]
Drew. I love you. :)

PS: can I put your build up on my downloads page?
Most *nix programs can be built quite easily. Using MSYS, go to the directory you extracted the source to and type:

$ ./configure --help

Look through the list and see if there's anything you want to enable/disable, and add it to the configure command. For example, if I was compiling SDL, I would add --disable-stdio-redirect because I hate that stupid feature.

$ ./configure

After that finishes, you can compile and install it:

$ make install

With any luck you're now done and have your library installed. I'm not sure how well this works with Corona but it works for most libraries.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Believe it or not smart_idiot, one of the main problems I had with it was trying to get, you should see this coming, libpng (sucky docs indeed), to compile correctly. I just had to eventually make *everything* static libraries and use those, because I could not get the .dll versions to work correctly. For some reason, the JPEG and GIF libraries were not in .dll exportable format, but no mention that they had to be static C libraries was made. I will take a look at your suggestion. This is on windows though, so I assume I need to command line compile using GCC tools?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement