Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RavNaz

Successful exportation of skinned animated model .x????

This topic is 4906 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, has anyone succesfully exportred a skinned animated model to .X from MAx? One of my friends tried to do it for me, but when I load it in, I get the mesh but no animation......when the mesh is being allocated it can't find the skin information. anyone had similar problems?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
You need to provide more information to get any help.

First of all, what is 'it', in "it can't find the skin information"? You're responsible for finding skin information, unless you use D3DX or another library to load the mesh in. Also, how do you know it can't find the information? Did it report an error? Or is the mesh just not moving? Your engine is also responsible for animating a skin mesh. So it's possible the skin information may have loaded in and is being rendered correctly, but is just not animating.

Skin meshes are not required to contain animations. Try opening the x file with mesh viewer. If it animates, then everything is working except your code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
no it doesnt animate in mesh viewer I just get the static mesh.....if it had then I would have known it was my code....so it's something wrong with the exported mesh. any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We'd run into this problem too. The frame animation worked, but skinning never succeceded. This was one of the things we forget the x model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't know if this is exactly the problem you were having, but I've had problems as well.... I can get the file to export with textures as a .X file, but if I try to animate using a bone system, the animation works, but the textures vanish. Comparing the .X files, it looks as if the textures simply aren't being assigned in the animated file. I've tried mulitple exporters, but the only way I've gotten around it is by hand-coding those texture assignments to their respective faces.... Which is a pain in the ass, because the floating point coordinates are all screwed up, too.

Anyone have a solution to this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hannibal84:
In studio max the tex y coord needs to flip. uv.y = 1.0f - tex.y; If this is your problem. Did you duplicate vertices ? Because max stores uv by face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Here are some ideas:
- use Panda exporter
- model must not have more than 4 bones affecting one vertex
- at least one vertex in skinned mesh must be affected by more than one bone, or D3DX function for extracting bones will fail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm not sure I can guess what the problem is. I use the Quest exporter. I've never even had any issues. Create a mesh, add some bones or biped, apply physique, animate a bit, export. It has skin info, textures, and animates. Humans, robots, spiders, bones, biped, biped+bones, skinned, non-skinned, static; it exports everything I've tried with no problems.

Maybe your friend didn't include animations in his x file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!