Successful exportation of skinned animated model .x????

Started by
6 comments, last by Jiia 19 years, 1 month ago
Hi guys, has anyone succesfully exportred a skinned animated model to .X from MAx? One of my friends tried to do it for me, but when I load it in, I get the mesh but no animation......when the mesh is being allocated it can't find the skin information. anyone had similar problems?
Advertisement
You need to provide more information to get any help.

First of all, what is 'it', in "it can't find the skin information"? You're responsible for finding skin information, unless you use D3DX or another library to load the mesh in. Also, how do you know it can't find the information? Did it report an error? Or is the mesh just not moving? Your engine is also responsible for animating a skin mesh. So it's possible the skin information may have loaded in and is being rendered correctly, but is just not animating.

Skin meshes are not required to contain animations. Try opening the x file with mesh viewer. If it animates, then everything is working except your code.
no it doesnt animate in mesh viewer I just get the static mesh.....if it had then I would have known it was my code....so it's something wrong with the exported mesh. any ideas?
We'd run into this problem too. The frame animation worked, but skinning never succeceded. This was one of the things we forget the x model.
I don't know if this is exactly the problem you were having, but I've had problems as well.... I can get the file to export with textures as a .X file, but if I try to animate using a bone system, the animation works, but the textures vanish. Comparing the .X files, it looks as if the textures simply aren't being assigned in the animated file. I've tried mulitple exporters, but the only way I've gotten around it is by hand-coding those texture assignments to their respective faces.... Which is a pain in the ass, because the floating point coordinates are all screwed up, too.

Anyone have a solution to this?
hannibal84:
In studio max the tex y coord needs to flip. uv.y = 1.0f - tex.y; If this is your problem. Did you duplicate vertices ? Because max stores uv by face.

Here are some ideas:
- use Panda exporter
- model must not have more than 4 bones affecting one vertex
- at least one vertex in skinned mesh must be affected by more than one bone, or D3DX function for extracting bones will fail

Bulma
I'm not sure I can guess what the problem is. I use the Quest exporter. I've never even had any issues. Create a mesh, add some bones or biped, apply physique, animate a bit, export. It has skin info, textures, and animates. Humans, robots, spiders, bones, biped, biped+bones, skinned, non-skinned, static; it exports everything I've tried with no problems.

Maybe your friend didn't include animations in his x file.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement