Constructor call with malloc?

Started by
9 comments, last by Yohumbus 19 years ago
I've been debugging my engine off and on all night when I made an odd observation: when you malloc something, the constructor is never called! For example:

//creates a new instance of Octtree and calls the default constructor
Octtree *tree = new Octtree() 

//Allocates memory for an Octtree but no constructor call
Octtree *tree = (Octtree *) malloc(sizeof(Octtree))

//Allocates memory and sets all pointers to null, but still doesn't call default constructor
Octtree *tree = (Octtree *) malloc(sizeof(Octtree))
ZeroMemory(tree, sizeof(Octtree))

Seeing as I'm a die-hard C programmer and shudder to think of anyone but me messing around with my memory allocation, is there any way to call the default/any constructor after mallocing? Or is it necessary to use the new keyword?
I do real things with imaginary numbers
Advertisement
That's right. malloc() never calls the constructor, it just allocates raw chunks of memory. To call the constructor, you need to use new or malloc and placement new.
Might I recommend merely using new, rather than a malloc()/placement new combination? Because new isn't managing memory any more significantly than malloc() is, unless you think that an automatic call to the constructor is an evil thing to perform without your consent. (Have fun dealing with uglier code, though; I hope I never have to mess with it. [wink])
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
new is just malloc with a constructor call. I believe that it also sets up the vtables and whatnot for all your polymorphic needs. I see no reason to not use it other than a desire for pain coupled with a fear of change. =)

-me
Quote:Original post by skyfire360
Seeing as I'm a die-hard C programmer and...
Blah blah blah. Program in C if you're a C programmer. Otherwise, get with C++. Stop resisting the language.
I think this is a pretty bad idea, but here's an example of how you could do it.

#include <iostream>#include <string>#include <new>#include <cstdlib>int main() {  using namespace std;    // Get some memory with malloc.  void *memory = malloc(sizeof(string));    // If we didn't get the memory, then it's really time that you upgraded.  if(!memory) return -1;     // Create a string object in that memory.  string *string_pointer = new(memory) string("Hello World!");    // Use that string object for something.  cout << *string_pointer << endl;    // Call its destructor.  string_pointer->~string();    // Free the memory.  free(memory);      cin.get();  return 0; }

While we're on the subject, always release your memory with whatever you used to get it, i.e.:

malloc/realloc/calloc --> free
new --> delete
new [] --> delete []
operator new --> operator delete

If you match up the wrong ones your computer will implode and create a minature black hole that will swallow you! Don't fool around with these things!
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Well seeing as you dont trust the compiler to allocate memory for you with its new operator, and you have to use new of some kind to construct the allocated object, Why dont you make your own new. The awsome thing about C++ is that(among other things) you can overload most operators. I would suggest reading up on the operator new and operator delete functions and their array equivelents because they give you all the controll you want. These operators can be defined at the global level and they can be static functions for a class if that class should be allocated differently.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
Quote:Original post by Yohumbus
Well seeing as you dont trust the compiler to allocate memory for you with its new operator, and you have to use new of some kind to construct the allocated object, Why dont you make your own new. The awsome thing about C++ is that(among other things) you can overload most operators. I would suggest reading up on the operator new and operator delete functions and their array equivelents because they give you all the controll you want. These operators can be defined at the global level and they can be static functions for a class if that class should be allocated differently.

Yes, until someone is going to work on your code, who doesn't expect this. And if he does, and he already assumes the default C++ habit, he'll have a very hard time maintaining your code. IMHO it's better to refrain from overloading the new / delete operators, and if you have to, please do it for specific cases.

For the rest I totally agree with Oluseyi.
Quote:Original post by skyfire360
Seeing as I'm a die-hard C programmer...

Seeing as you are a die-hard C programmer, you shouldn't be using constructors in the first place.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Usually if people are doing this (zeroing memory) I assume it is because they are just avoiding writing constructors which initialise values to zero.

This is just plain lazy and when you get into using virtual functions or member data which isn't builtin types, it will cause you big problems.

Let C++ do what it's supposed to do. Its type system brings all kinds of benefits. Don't try and subvert it.

Trust the compiler, but look at the generated code if you have any doubts.

If there's something special you need to do such as using a memory pool to speed things up then look at using a library such as boost or Loki to look after it for you. I simply added Loki's small object allocator (you derive from it) and it vastly improved the performance of my application.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement