• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Janus-DG

2D Fighting Game...

This topic is 4965 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone give me some tips on developing a 2D Fighting game? I'm not asking for any team members or anything like that, not "Looking to make the best game evar"... etc... Just looking to work on something game-related in my spare time, I love fighting games and they seem to be pretty straightforward when it comes to development. Basically, all I need are some tips to get started. I have some basic C++, C# knowledge and I worked with DirectX and OGL years ago but I don't remember much now. So I'd need any links to some of the better tutorials out there for DX9 and whatnot. I'm looking to make it Sprite-based with some 3D Effects, Controller Support and if I can, port-able. It's more of an experiment to gain knowledge than anything else. Are there any programs I should be looking at specifically for this? And tutorials on how to create sprite animations, 3D effects for games, all that good stuff. It's certainly not the simplest project to start out with, but I've got plenty time on my hands and it's simply for personal use. I figure why not. Edit: I know there's probably engines and such already made for fighting games, but I'm more interested in obtaining the knowledge on how to develop my own from the ground up.

Advertisement
Actually, there are almost no fighting games engines out there. Trust me, I've looked :-) I've playing around with the Irrlicht engine and love it--powerful and the learning curve isn't too bad.

What sort of sprites and backgrounds will you be using?

1. Hand drawn (e.g., Street Fighter -esqe games)
2. Sprites of 3D modeled characters and 3D modeled backgrounds (e.g., Killer Instinct).
3. Live action pics (e.g., the old MK games)
4. Claymation/Plastic models (Clayfigher, Primal Rage)

I guess this is the most important thing to decide on first. The first 2 options are probably the easiest. Hand drawing your characters and backgrounds would just require a bit of artistic talent, a scanner, and a good image editor (GIMP is good if you are on a budget). 3D models could be easy too--Milkshake is a good 3D modeler and is cheaper than 3DS (a lot cheaper!).

Hello, you said you want to make sprites based on 3d FX so this may not help you, but you may find it interesting anyway. For 2d sprite tutorials I definetly recommend This Tutorial. Check out chapter nine for capcon style fighting sprites. This tutorial will make you a better pixel artist. As for the DirectX, I don't know of any tutorials off the top of my head, but the articles section here and a quick search on google should get you started. Hope this helps and good luck.

-Jake

Your welcome. Yeah, it was the first tutorial I used on the subject and is still the best I have found so far. There is a link to his forum on the site, but it is down right now. I recommend visiting it after it is functional again because the people there will help you become a better artist and you get to see good examples. We also have a thread up now in the 2d/3d artwork section about pixel art and sprites. You can find good examples there of peoples work in this forum. It would actually be nice if gamedev had a PixelArt section, because though pixelart is 2d it is different than general 2d and 3d work because of the techniques used to make it. I think 2d/3d in the same thread is to broad and a lot of people probably don't want to post pixel art in a thread that seems so broad because they don't think that they would get much of a response, maybe they don't have enough demand on these forums though. But I know that there is a large following for pixel art because of how many people are on that forum that I mentioned above. Oh, well. Anyway, glad I could help

-Jake

I got half way through a fight game, so I have a few general suggestions.

- Make a good queue system for the buttons they hit. Test it well and make it robust, you will be very thankful later. This is so you can check for combos.

- Plan a good animation system. For the first time, I had all the animations as #defines, big mistake. Eventually I made a custom filetype to hold sprites and animations, which is well suited to fighting games. If you want it email me and I will sedn you the editor and header file.

- Plan a good AI system. All my AI did was follow the player then try and hit them occasionally. Well in advanced, make a system that will keep things interesting.

ALso, here are a few fighting game projects you could likely learn alot from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openmortal/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kof91/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openmugen/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/koflinux/

Hope this helps! Email me any time and I will try and help you how I can.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!