Game AI been neglected because of graphics?

Started by
54 comments, last by njpaul 18 years, 11 months ago
Do you feel that game AI has been neglected because of aims to improve Graphics and realism? whats your opinion...
Advertisement
Yes, to a small extent. It has more to do with marketing though. It is hard to sell AI (and therefore to get the funding and time to build it).
Yes totally. Its the next bing thing tough. Because graphics are almost photorealistics now, and that they dont add much to gameplay. See the number of people playing SNES games on emulators... So now developpers will have to focus on AI.

Graphics still sells the game, but AI is what makes it great or not.
IMO physics is going to be the next big thing. Us AI guys will have to wait a little bit longer...
I agree Physics has become an important part of certain genres of gaming. However, I don't think it has done so at the cost of AI. Every project I know of has dedicated AI programmers, and indeed more AI programmers than Physics, and if you look around at who is hiring it is clear how in-demand AI programmers currently are.

The Graphics vs Gameplay balancing-act has eased somewhat thanks the the GPU. Now the graphics has its own processor it freed up a lot of CPU time to Gameplay, Physics, AI, etc.
John ReynoldsCreative Asylum Ltdwww.creative-asylum.com
Well,maybe,there is an other reason, unfortunatly.
AI did not achieve the results that everybody was expecting.
Quote:Original post by fup
IMO physics is going to be the next big thing. Us AI guys will have to wait a little bit longer...

I agree. It takes a lot more work to make a noticeable difference in AI compared with the difference that you can see from better physics.
Just look at HL2 for "physics candy". I honestly got bored of how many times they tried to show off the physics engine as a form of gameplay mechanism [rolleyes].

As others have said, it's going to be a while before AI takes center stage - but with the advent of these multi-processor/multi-core systems, and the inevitable switch to multi-programming, I reckon AI will get a chance at the big time.... [smile]. Fingers crossed the argument that processing resources are limited will become null and void.

If a couple (or more!) big name games take the time to put some truly powerful AI into things, the sort of stuff that gets people going [oh] at how damn impressive it is, then they'll raise the bar. Raise the bar and others will almost certainly follow...

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

I don't think its the processing power. I think its a lack of people who are knowledgeable about integrating the state of the art in AI in games. It takes a lot of processing power to create models. This is not a problem because you can do this during the development process where is is available and doesn't have to be done real-time.

Actually running models in game is not really that expensive. Some games like chess do require lots of processing power in game. That is because they are searching a known state space. The state space is not typically known in most modern games so these computationally intensive techniques are not applicable.

I would compare AI in most games more to AI for robots than for puzzle games. There are a set of percepts and a set of actions. The goal is to map a percept vector to an action at each decision point. This mapping is very expensive to develop, but very cheap to implement in game.

I think its more about deciding which AI algorithms are appropriate for various applications in games. A mob in a game could use many differnt AI paradigms:

- Stimulus Response
- Reinforcment Learning
- Emergent Swarm
- ANN
- GA
- Decision Tree
- Expert System
... etc

It really the knowledge about which methods are appropriate for individual application that is lacking.
Before discussing reasons for neglect, what deficiencies are you refering to?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement