VC++ .Net 2003 vs 2005

Started by
9 comments, last by Whirlwind 19 years ago
Hi all I have been using VC++ 6.0 on and off since it came out and was wondering if it would be better to hold off and get VC++ .Net 2005 or simply get the 2003 version? I am asking because I have a gut feeling that if I get the 2003 version, that 2005 will be out and for around the same price, $179CDN Thanks
Better to try and fail than to fail by not trying.
Advertisement
Just in case you were not aware, there is also a free Express Edition of the 2005 version. It is in beta stage right now and can be downloaded from Microsoft's website.
Quote:Original post by CaptCanada
I am asking because I have a gut feeling that if I get the 2003 version, that 2005 will be out and for around the same price, $179CDN

Given the pricing announcement listed on Microsoft page (http://msdn.microsoft.com/howtobuy/vs2005/compare/) i'd guess the price for net.2005 will be quite a bit higher than $179, at least for a while...
Express Edition pricing is significantly more affordable. I believe each Express product is set to cost $49.99.
Wait for 2005. I have the Express beta and it's great.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
speaking of which, what will happen when the Express is no longer in Beta? Will we be able to keep the beta versions for free?
The betas will likely expire after 90 days or so.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Quote:Original post by DigitalChaos
speaking of which, what will happen when the Express is no longer in Beta? Will we be able to keep the beta versions for free?

There probably is some sort of timebomb type deal with the software. I know when I was beta testing the Office 2003 (and now that I recall, the .NET Server 2003) software that there was a timer set for a few weeks after the release of the software. Microsoft provided some patches for the testers to work with, and when the bugs started getting smaller, they cut everyone.

But in that case, the software was being updated. I don't think that the Express Beta software has an auto-updating utility. So I'm sure there is some sort of hard date somewhere coded in that software. You're probably looking at a few weeks before (or after) the release of the software. They would probably wait until after the software is released, to give you the chance to upgrade (which most will do, because their projects are being worked on - great marketing strategy!).
-John "bKT" Bellone [homepage] [[email=j.bellone@flipsidesoftware.com]email[/email]]
Thanks everyone.

I will have to retry the Express Edition, as I sold my other rig that had WinXP Pro on it. I am now running a Duron 800 rig,512 PC2100,Radeon 7200 and Win98SE.

Not the greatest rig for game programming, but it is only temporary until my new parts come in mid April, in which my rig will be a AMD 64 3000+,1GDDR400,6600GT OC and WinXP Home.

Thanks all
Better to try and fail than to fail by not trying.
Just so you know, microsoft has added a great feature in the 2k5 compiler(s)..

Whole program optimization.

Sometimes its called IPA( interprocedural analysis)its been around in major compiler packages for afew years. It can have a great impact on end product CPU consumption.

I do a good amount of Windows/unix/Manframe code (non game related.. all work stuff) and used IPA with IBM's compilers for awhile now.
IBM's compilers have had this for afew years. Some programs can get ~+40% speed improvement. It also helps find coding errors during compile/link because the compiler has a complete view of the enitre code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement