Sign in to follow this  
w1cked

Great books to begin with?

w1cked    122
Hey every body... I got a lot of questions! I have only read 2 books about the programmering. "C++ in 21 days" and a danish book called "C++" (for beginners). I got some other books for more advanced programming. 1) I would like to hear what is the best books for game developing in C++ to start with... Im looking for a book that realy gets into the codes, and explanes in great details what and why? 2) Whats the greatest way to start? By making 2D games, small games? 3) Do any one know some easy game engines to start with? Thx´s

BiGF00T    435
1) ? (i use online tutorials and google and msdn)

2)I guess the best way is to forget all the dreams about a very great game for a long time... Then start to get familiar with the console, then maybe grab a copy of SDL or something and code something 2D and if you still feel you need more then move to 3D. Just don't let the NeHe tutorials let you think that 3D is easy just because you can use them and change them into something else.
Try to do all the things from scratch and use premade stuff only after you know how it works...
I owned several books but I've never bothered to read them. I know how to use google and sometimes I ask here for help. I can't help you with a book but I think the online tutorials are very helpful and cheaper than most books. ;)

3) sorry, no... But you won't need an engine for a long time ;)

camdaman    100
Two books really get u started...(though u've started in C)...If ur really new that this programming stuff ...I would start in BASIC...with Blitz Basic...The perfect book for this is"Game Programming for teens"...U also might wanna consider"Qbasic in 21 days"

This website also has some great books on certain topics

BiGF00T    435
Basic is not necessary... I think C++ is the way to go... (i know this is kind of a religious conflict) Since you seem to know some basics in C++ I wouldn't bother with basic...
You can have a look at the articles section here on gamedev or just google for the stuff you want to know.
I know this is no answer to your book question but I think there is no need for a book because the whole intarwebnets is full of tutorials and great resources. You might need a book on advanced topics but there are tons of beginner tutorials on every site...

skulldrudgery    253
I reccomended "C++ How to Program" to someone else the other day.
Quote:

I got the fourth edition of the book for QR350 a while back and the book is great! It comes bundled with a thick workbook called "C++ In the Lab" which has all kinds of questions and exercises in addition to the ones at the end of each chapter. It's basically a textbook and homework sheets. I would reccomend it for anyone who knows at least how to compile helloworld and has $90 to burn.

BUT! This book is written by those snooty anonymous textbook writers who try to show off their composition skilz. Sometimes they complicate a simple sentence and they are often excessively wordy. So my one caveat is that you should avoid it if your reading comprehension can be disrupted by long sentences.

They also focus on UML(which is stupid to focus on so early) and pseudocode(which is good to focus on early).

The fifth edition is out now.