Sign in to follow this  
Mari_p

Something seems to be limiting the Radeon 9600 performance

Mari_p    232
Hi, I'm testing the following computer configuration: - AMD Sempron 2.6 GHz - RAM - 512 Mb - Video card ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256Mb (with the old drivers, from the card's CD) So, I ran a very simple Direct3D demo and got only 62 fps in all supported resolutions (640x480, ..., 1280x1024). However, I got 166 fps in 640x480 running this demo with the following configuration: - AMD Atlhon 2.4 GHz - RAM - 512 Mb - Video card Gforce4 MX (with the old drivers, from the card's CD) I know that Radeon 9600 Pro is faster than Gforce4 MX, so what would be the possible problem? Something seems to limit the Radeon performance... Note: - Vsync is OFF in both cases. - DirecX version: 9.0 Thanks in advance

Evil Steve    2017
That definitely sounds like a vsync problem if the FPS is roughly the same in all modes.
Are you sure the drivers don't force v-sync? I know you can force v-sync on or off (or let the app decide) with the latest nVidia drivers (in "Performance & Quality Settings").

Mari_p    232
Thank you for replying.

Quote:
Try running it in windowed mode.

humm... I didn't really test the demo in windowed mode. Unfortunately, the computer with the ATI card is at the office, so I will test later.

Quote:
Are you sure the drivers don't force v-sync?

I'm sure that the demo's code sets:

d3dpp.PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE;

Is this not enough to guarantee that v-sync is off? I had never used a ATI card before... is there some setting in the video properties to force v-sync to be always on? (or some place where I could disable that)

Thanks again

mdias    823
Quote:
Original post by Mari_p
I'm sure that the demo's code sets:

d3dpp.PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE;

Is this not enough to guarantee that v-sync is off? I had never used a ATI card before... is there some setting in the video properties to force v-sync to be always on? (or some place where I could disable that)

Thanks again

It is if the drivers is configured to let the application decide, but the driver can be configured to force v-sync, so you might want to check that ;)

Krisc    494
But wouldn't the VSYNC force it to be 60fps?

I don't think, with VSYNC on, it would be possible to hit 62 unless the refresh rate was at 80 and the frame rate was dropping below that...

Evil Steve    2017
Quote:
Original post by Krisc
But wouldn't the VSYNC force it to be 60fps?

I don't think, with VSYNC on, it would be possible to hit 62 unless the refresh rate was at 80 and the frame rate was dropping below that...
It's probably a calculation error. If the refresh rate is > 60Hz, it's possible to get over 60FPS with V-sync enabled.
The reason I say it looks like a V-sync problem is that the FPS doesn't change when the resolution changes. So it's definitely not fillrate limited, and I very much doubt that it's vertex-throughput limited on a Radeon 9600.